The HELL MACHINE works!!! Was Ground tester or Hypot with 1/0 welding cable?

Thanks, Bert. I even understood it! :-)

Nicely done..

Interesting that air alone changes the behavior.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

My guess is that I would need to pass a current pulse through a coil wound around magnetic core, and placed inthe focus of a paraboloid (like the reflector found on some electric heaters with exposed heating coil).

Ignoramus17570

Win, I will do as you say. By the way, following your advice, I did clean the welder relatively thoroughly.

Ignoramus24570

See if you can kill a computer or car stereo from a distance.

Gunner

Gunner

That's highly illegal, plus I do not have spare computers of car stereos...

Ignoramus24570

No (THUMP THUMP) neighbor (Thump THUMP) kids (Thump Thump) in the (THUMP THUMPTHUMPTHUMP) neighborhood?

Shrug..just a thought. Though I didnt think it was illegal to kill your own computer...or how anyone could prove you silenced a (thump thump) car stereo from a distanc.

Gunner

Gunner

The magnetic core would saturate and probably result in a *less* effective far field effect. Ideally you would need to radially compress the work coil virtually instantly at the moment of peak current . . . I am sure that Gunner could come up with something suitable and some way of setting it off. If you took a road trip to Gunnerland, you could both have some fun.

As to test objects, Personal stereos (of the dirt cheap FM radio variety) and old mobiles would be worthy targets and cheaper than car stereos and computers.

If you want to video this, I suggest you put in a bid for a sheet of the Mumetal currently on RCM and make a box with a fine mesh copper screen over the lens and copper braid gaskets at all joints or maybe use an old hand cranked movie camera. I'm sure the video would be popular . . .

N.B I understand that *any* high energy discharge that does not disrupt the work coil is very hard on the capacitor bank owing to the rapid resonant current reversal. You might want to bear this in mind and make sure that the coil is always the sacrificial element if you are operating anywhere near full power.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Come up with a reliabel car-stereo killer, and I'd be looking for ways to buy/build one...

(Gawd, how I wouldn't love to hit one of those "thud cars" with something like that... Preferably in a manner that lets them *KNOW* they've just had someone deliberately destroy their audio-blight)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Ian, I definitely would not do anything where substantial EMI is generated.

As for sacrificial elements, I think that it is a matter of putting together a simple Excel spreadsheet to put in elements that would self destroy closer to the end of the first cycle before reversal.

Ignoramus24570

If Iggy could sneak up on the vehicle and clamp a lead to each bumper, it should kill all the electronics and maybe the idiots inside.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am not so sure that it is actually true. aftet all, the car should act as a faraday cage and conduct electricity with its shell (assuming it is made of steel).

Ignoramus24570

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:39:16 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

His wife, kid, and all his neighbors will love him for that one.

"Hello, Snake Farm Insurance? Am I covered for EMP pulse generation?" "No, and we've notified the DHS for you. Have a nice day." "Oops!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:42:45 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Bruder quickly quoth:

Has anyone ever shot a car with a Taser? I wonder if that would do it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A Faraday shield is a complete enclosure. with bonded seams. Cars are a pile of barely connected, floating metal and plastic pieces. At the very least, it would be so magnetized that an compass would never work right, again.

BTW, the Shuttle just went over, with its double "Sonic Boom" ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe, I certain am not sure.

that was my thumper...

Ignoramus24570

Oh it would work, probably work VERY well. One of the major things you learn about welding on a newer vehicle with a modern computer system is to pull the computer wiring to avoid blowing it up when you weld on the chassis. Seen it happen a couple times. Person will want to weld in some new steel on a quarter panel, grind and fit the new panel. Ground the welder and strike an arc and when your done welding the car won't run any more. OOPS.

Reply to
Steve W.

Then it landed at the cape.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's the opposite of what happens to pennies on rairoad tracks, or better yet, what happens to a _solid_ copper (not clad) penny after several trips through a jeweler's rolling mill -- you end up with a strip of copper foil up to three feet long. You can keep up the torture for as long as you like without having to anneal the penny. Coin alloys are amazingly malleable.

Has anyone tried sending a coin through a shrinking machine more than once?

Reply to
Father Haskell

Yes...

The first time through, slight "ripples" are formed along the rim of the coin due to slight force imbalances during the shrinking process. The

2nd time through, these ripples become greatly accentuated (perhaps "kink instability"?), resulting in some really ugly looking coins. Also, the first time through, the coin becomes significantly work hardened as well as becoming thicker, so that during the 2nd pass through there's much less "shrinkage" for a given energy level.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Hickman

Well, Father, my experience as a refiner of precious metals tends to disagree with the concept of endless cold working. Even pure gold gets tough after being rolled a couple times and must be annealed. After all, that's how brass is made that is sold as half hard. It's rolled cold, and not annealed.

Annealing is very much a part of rolling the non-ferrous metals, regardless of the alloy. Pennies were made of 95% copper, and a combined 5% of tin and zinc. While malleable, it work hardens just like any other alloy.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos