The innate perversity of inanimate objects

on Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If there's an Entering XX sign, _that's_ to much city. (just for Larry) ;-)
--
☯☯

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:00:02 -0600, Steve Ackman

"Too" much city. Grok that.
Vive l'Hermit!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

    Of course, that is not the only kind of detector. I remember at the top end of the street I lived on where it T-intersected with another larger street, there was a demand light using an ultrasonic detector on a pole. There were two cars waiting in the right lane and we pulled up in the left (center) lane. We sat there for too long, and I then got out of the car, walked up closer to the pole, and moved a large (Man Sized) box of Kleenex flat-bottom rapidly towards the ultrasonic detector. I then got back in the car just in time for my father to pull away as the light changed. (The problem was that nothing was moving close enough to it for it to detect. I made up for the lack of surface area of the Kleenex box with speed of motion. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Advanced left turn arrows around here are activated by a detection loop under the third car back. I often sit on the loop in order to get the advance arrow to make the turn into the subdivision. I often get strange looks from drivers in the number two lane on my right. One day I looked in my mirror to see the driver of the police car behind me laughing his ass off - he knew exactly what was going on. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:20:02 -0400, Gerald Miller

Gerry, did you start carrying a sign around with you in case another cop pulls up behind you? "Loan me your strobe unit. This light takes forEVER!"
-- Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -- George S. Patton
I love moments like that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They started to use those in NYC but the traffic engineer there told me they didn't work out well at all. Although they were mounted on cross arms high above the traffic, after someone discovered that they made great tweeters they'd get stolen within days of installation.
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:21:23 -0700 (PDT)
<snip>

Those darn detectors were a pain in the butt when I was riding my motorcycle during the wee hours. Usually had to wait for a car to pull in behind me. Tried moving my cycle so it was setting right over the wire, but it usually didn't help any.
Always found it somewhat amusing to see someone waiting at a demand light, but not pulled up far enough to be in the detection zone :)
What the heck do you drive that has problems getting detected?
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

The general wisdom around here is that if you stop at a light while on a street legal motorcycle and the light doesn't change after a prudent interval, the light is defective. Proceed through the light with caution.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:25:42 -0700

Back at the time it would have been easy enough to ask, just never thought of it when we happened to have a vehicle with officer in for service work. What you're saying makes plenty of sense, but police officers don't always respond sensibly.
Used to happen in my area along a busy street with a left-turn arrows. You wouldn't get an arrow if didn't sense a vehicle waiting for one. Most often my wait was short, busy street and something large would pull in behind me. I would just pull up farther to be sure the vehicle behind me was setting in the zone. There was a time or two though where there didn't seem to be anyone else wanting to go my direction...
Guess I need a bigger motorcycle. Maybe one of those Bombardier Spyders. Of course then I would need a bigger garage ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

The detector works, previously the light had been changing as soon as I drove up and then suddenly it didn't, but then it changed when I inched forward. After a few days I saw it turn red as I approached, started counting seconds and found the answer. I figured that if there was a retriggering holdoff it would be some round number and sure enough the light changed after 30 seconds.
jsw

The detectors are supposed to respond to motorcycles. A call to your city traffic engineer might not hurt. The sensitivity of the detectors is adjustable on some models.
Don Foreman wrote:

They use TV cameras at some intersections around here. Cheaper to install, and the road doesn't need to be shut down for repairs.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:06:55 -0500
<snip>

This was ~15 years ago. I'm rarely out in the wee hours anymore. Pretty much all of the lights using the buried-in-pavement-wire sensor did this though. I don't recall any of them detecting my motorcycle no matter where I was setting over them. This particular street has a lot of them too.
They don't give one whit about motorcyclists around here. If they did they wouldn't be installing the bastard median barrier cables up and down all our expressways...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

It might be interesting to make a loop of heavy copper wire that encloses your bike. It would have to be out of the way and unobstrusive to be acceptable, but you might be able to contrive that. It should be an electrically closed loop with maximum possible area. See if that increases the bike's "visibility" to inductive loop sensors.
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:55:32 -0500
<snip>

I like how you think Don, always have :)
A true engineer trying to solve the problem. I tried a few different positions for where my bike was setting, but that is about all you can reasonably do and keep an eye on traffic too. You can't do much to the motorcycle either without messing with your ground clearance and/or maneuverability. It would be fun to play with, if I could find a traffic engineer that was interested in messing with it. But those days are long gone I'm afraid... They might have even addressed the problem by know. As I said, this was awhile ago and I haven't been in a position to test them for many years now.
Do appreciate hearing though that I wasn't missing something simple that would have solved the problem :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

When I was 15 we went duck hunting from an old wooden rowboat on a beaver pond here in Northern Minnesota on a brisk 35 degree day. a couple of mallards flew from left to right and I shot one. Another duck flew by the opposite way and while trying to shoot the duck, my brand new Mossberg 500 flew out of my hands and into the drink. There it was, cocked with the safety off in five and a half feet of cooooold water. I jumped overboard after stripping my work boots off and gingerly felt around with my stocking feet for my prized shotgun. I was able to raise it from the loon shit on the bottom and we hightailed it for home.
Don, your knife should be a piece of cake to rescue. Steve

Hire one of the kids. Lots of kids love playing in the mud and hunting for things.
On 6/6/2010 9:52 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

You know how water diffracts the image of an object under it's surface, right? Well it also tends to shift the location of an object that sank right below you to a location that can't be guessed, and is usually many orders of distance further then you thought, specially cold water...
cheers T.Alan

CAN be guessed. If you're looking straight down, it's straight down. If you're looking at it on an angle, it's closer to you than it appears.
How much depends upon the angle and how deep the water is.
(Bow fishing 101).
LLoyd