The ultimate monitor hang

Over the course of many years, I have designed several different computer areas for personal use. The first monitor stand for lying down was like a typical monitor sitting on its stand on a desktop, it was supported from underneath. Did not take long to realize that was a bad idea, so I went to hanging the monitor instead of supporting it from underneath. Recently replaced my 60 pound ViewSonic with a much lighter LCD. Unfortunately, some action games are difficult to play while laying down, it might actually encourage motion sickness over a long period of use (still testing that theory). Also, getting into and out of position is more difficult when lying down. So I added a table into my current setup. The main structure of my computer area resembles a goal post made out of two by fours (I needed something sturdy for the prior 60 pound CRT).

My monitor hangs from a 2 x 4. It must be easily movable left/right and up/down so that it can be used either while sitting down or lying down, and for other reasons. So I spent some time figuring out how to most easily and efficiently enable that. The ultimate solution IMO... A 1/8" thick 1 1/2" wide 6" long aluminum flat bar with a hole cut in it and then bent about 85°. Then you stick a round aluminum tube through the hole and hang it on the crossbar (2x4). At the bottom of the aluminum pipe is where the monitor is hung and where it tilts and swivels, hung on a small crossbar with nylon cords.

The hole through the aluminum flat bar is small enough so that the aluminum tube barely fits through it. That single piece of aluminum flat bar allows the monitor at the bottom of the tube to be extremely easily moved left and right on the 2 x 4. It also allows monitor to be easily vertically positioned up/down by simply pushing the aluminum tube through the hole and then releasing. The monitor can be raised with one hand. When lowering the monitor, one must grasp the aluminum flat bar and tilt it slightly so that the flat bar releases the aluminum tube so that it can move down through the hole. No ordinary fastener is required because the flat bar and the tube grip each other perfectly (a little something I learned in the metal working group). When the bent flat bar (with the tube running through it) is hooked over the crosswise 2 x 4, in addition to gripping the tube, it pushes the aluminum tube into the side of the

2 x 4, keeping the tube held snugly against the 2 x 4 and keeping the monitor from swinging.
Reply to
John Doe

After this long... Thoroughly enjoying it, works like a charm. I said "the ultimate" not "the most elaborate" :D

John Doe wrote:

Reply to
John Doe