Tires....help needed on choices

The article below explains why you ought to be worried about losing Obamacare. But then, you'll just go back to getting your free care at the ER, right? The one thing we know for sure is that you'll never pay a dime toward your care, or make any effort to minimize the amount of charity you need to stay alive.

Most of the needy are merely needy. A small percentage are as ignorant as you. Damned few are your brand of ungrateful cretin crackpot. Although that's the only type you know personally, because normal folks steer clear of you lifelong losers.

Reply to
Mr. Tambourine Man

What a shock that nothing anyone does or writes can motivate you to do anything other than talk. But why do you bother to talk tough when everybody knows you'll do NOTHING, EVER, to anyone who abuses you? Add "my" name to the list of people, things and companies that have made you their helpless bitch.

Reply to
Mr. Tambourine Man

I thought it might be a heavy bastid, between the cast iron and the copper windings. It was still too loud after moving to the larger muffler?

Good. Any idea how efficient it is now?

It was time for a redesign anyway, right? I find that I want to change things after the first, and then after about the 12th build, either to change materials, efficiency, or assembly methods.

Did you go with a straight chip and build your own board around it, or use a board (Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Pine64, etc.) and build around that? I guess you probably wouldn't need all the display and I/O from the boards and an induction heater wouldn't take much of an instruction set.

A real Pelican case would have doubled the cost of the final unit, right?

Bueno bwana.

I had to look up "Litz wire". Better eddy currents, eh? Interesting. Better waterproofing?

- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, you wove in some quiet from every angle, it seems.

Wow, 400 hours of work and you gave it away? I've always hated the noise gensets put out, too. Compressors are bad enough, so I'm working on a housing for mine now. (Project 143 or so on the priority list now.)

- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just as a comment, internal combustion engines emit a certain amount of noise from the block itself and on sailing yachts it is quite common to see the "gen-set" enclosed in an "insulated" box which uses sound insulation and in some cases even lead sheet to deaden the noise.

See

John B.

Yes, you did. Glad to hear you got better, too.

- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're ghastly.

I'm looking at a pair of C-shaped shells to quiet my compressor. Carpeting over OSB/ply/MDF does a surprising amount of quieting. By leaving the large opening, air can flow. I have some 1/4" closed cell foam which I may tack under there, too. It's amazing how much noise comes from the intake on a compressor.

That's something I'll have to work out with the solar setup. With only 1kW, I'll have to shed the

That should provide enough HP.

That's cool.

Very interesting. 1,800rpm should be far enough off idle to give you a few more hp, I believe, and farther still under load. It would be nice not to have to add a transmission to it. I guess you'll find out once you put the puzzle together.

Surprise! Alarms, even 3 blocks away, in the middle of the night are never fun.

Hah, cool! I was wondering how you removed that pesky This engine does not use an engine-driven cooling fan. All done by

I opted for the variable speed DC fan motor on the HVAC system I put in the house in 2002, and the difference in sound is phenomenal. I'm sure the pancake fan is much quieter than the belt driven fan, but at that rpm, I doubt it will be working too hard.

Consider ducting at least some of the building's intake air through the radiators for a natural flow.

All good.

Yup. How far removed is the building from your house/bedroom?

That's the only way to run a generator: silently.

Don't -even- tell the inspector about that. They're psychotically allergic to lead.

I'll definitely check that out.

Breathe on, Brother. Slow and steady is how I'm starting to learn to live, too.

- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I made a take-down sound reducing enclosure for a portable Coleman generator from two 2' by 4' fire-rated acoustic ceiling tiles, cut to

2' x 2' since it's a small generator.

The faces of the tiles are fairly durable but the edges needed sheetmetal channel rims to minimize crumbling. I had 2" wide steel trim strips from an old aboveground pool and a brake to bend them on, otherwise aluminum flashing bent around wood forms should do well enough.

I prefer to hammer on a block of wood held against the bent flange. This gives nice square corners.

The corners of the back panel are reinforced with aluminum angle brackets that extend out far enough for the other three panels to nest in for transportation and storage, mainly to protect the panels from rubbing together.

It assembles with thumbscrews through the back that screw into sheetmetal clip nuts in the rear corners of the sides. The top is unattached for easier access to the generator, and the front is open to let exhaust out and air in, a 4 sided cube. In bad weather it can be covered with something waterproof like pieces of corrugated roofing.

It faces back from behind the house, unfortunately toward possible sound reflectors so I didn't measure the reduction in decibels, only in how far away I could recognize it as a generator. I can't hear the genny from the street or neighbors' houses if there's traffic within

1/4 mile.

While testing it I tried an exhaust extension of fiberglass pipe insulation which barely made a difference, the noise comes from the engine.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So if it's easy and cheap, and since you've been talking about generators for years, then surely by now you have a diesel/UPS setup to match John's, right? Did you get a permit for your diesel tank? Did you build a custom muffler, or do you find that the dog barking drowns out the genny? Did you save the neighborhood yet by doling out diesel fuel during an earthquake?

Reply to
Nashville Cats