Today's project with pics

I finally was finishing the L00 to Hardinge thread spindle adapter yesterday (had a delay while I replaced the rear spindle bearing after
the spindle locked up due to the back end nut unscrewing). Had to install the large retaining ring and found that my snap ring pliers had nowhere near enough capacity.
Tools at McM, etc. looked to be over $100, so I looked for alternatives. Ended up using my old panavise head by sticking a couple pins in the nylon jaws.
Well, when I tried to machine the grooves in the nut for the spanner, it unscrewed, boogered the cut. Now I needed to disassemble and the impromptu tool wouldn't reach. Today, I made new jaws with relocated pins of cold rolled. Worked good.
Now to finish the nut and clean up the ugly part.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool.txt
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool01.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool02.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool03.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool04.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/retainingringtool05.jpg
Pete Keillor
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:12:43 -0600, Pete Keillor

------------------------------------------------------- Neat idea Pete!! Thanks for shareing. Bob rgentryatozdotnet

You should post some pics of the Hardinge if you have not already. I'm still amazed at the amount of attention to fit and finish of the old Hardinge stuff. Even how they stamped their name on parts is pretty much a work of art in how perfectly it's done.