Forging pics in dropbox

I posted some pics of my middle son trying out the forge for the first
time.

doing the tines (while bent out to a T shape)

the forge I welded up for Matt back when

doing the handle end

Ben having fun.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Damn. It's sobering. Someone actually out there pounding cherry red metal. What's next?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Oh, I see what his problem is. It's technique. He's supposed to heat the piece he's holding there in the tongs, and then put it across the anvil to beat on with the hammer. He's holding that one straight up. Have him try my method and tell me what he thinks. ;)
Big sucker! How many gallons per mile does it use?
There he's got it.
That's hard (but fun) work. I used to hang around the blacksmith's shop at the Vista Gas and Steam Museum years back and had the chance to try my hand. It's definitely a learned art which takes lots of time and patience.
Luck to him!
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Site Timeline