Tool brand names

It's been a while since I've been in the market for shop stuff. Now I'm thinking about some indexing equipment, rotary table, dividing head maybe, and like that. I don't need to go high end, but neither do I like junk; so, before digging into the catalogs, I thought I'd ask: Does Palmgren still suck? Is Phase II still pretty good? Any other midrange names out there I should watch for / watch out for?

Pete

Reply to
artfulbodger

Grant Erwin

And which direction has Yuasa gone? Have they improved or gone downhill?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

As long as you realize that there are a number of items that are within the

125 lb. weight limit that Enco insists on shipping only by truck.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

There must be only one direction to choose. I have an old Yusa Dividing head with spiral milling attachment. One excellent piece of tooling. I added a servo motor for full fourth axis ability on my CNC mill. Its seen A LOT of work.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I never really thought Palmgren "sucked". Certainly not inexpensive, but a pretty good reputation from what I had heard. If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Phase II has improved over the years, but recently has eliminated a number of products from their catalog. I've been waiting for new catalogs for over a year now (I am a distributor, and it makes it hard to sell without catalogs).

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

On Fri, 06 May 2005 05:39:08 GMT, the inscrutable "DeepDiver" spake:

That's only because the Brown Truck service tends to drop-test too many of the heavier items from the top of their 20' conveyor system. It ain't purty.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If it's only that, then how does one account for them sending a group of items in a box that collectively weigh upwards of 70 lbs? Surely a box filled with items that collectively weighs 70 lbs would be essentially as "ugly" falling off their 20' conveyor as would a box containing a single 100 lb item, no?

I realize that they can (and do) break up multiple items into multiple boxes to lessen the total weight of any one box, but I've received boxes from them that were packed fairly heavy. Perhaps that's not the norm.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Scott, I can't enlighten you, really, having never used anything by Palmgren. It's just that I remember that a few years ago here there was much grousing about the quality of Palmgren vises. ISTR someone complaining about his new vise and half a dozen others chiming in & saying, "Yeah, not worth it; I got burned by a Palmgren sale, too; spend the extra hundred bucks & get this other vise, easily twice as good."

But that's all I know.

Reply to
artfulbodger

Scott, I can't enlighten you, really, having never used anything by Palmgren. It's just that I remember that a few years ago here there was much grousing about the quality of Palmgren vises. ISTR someone complaining about his new vise and half a dozen others chiming in & saying, "Yeah, not worth it; I got burned by a Palmgren sale, too; spend the extra hundred bucks & get this other vise, easily twice as good."

But that's all I know.

Pete

Reply to
artfulbodger

Pete,

We haven't seen you around much lately. Stick around, it adds to the mix.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I've been gone for a while. I had to dismantle my shop when I moved, and since then I've had a few chaotic years. New location, new business, sick relatives, blah blah ... but things are settling down now & I've started to get my tools in order. If I don't get going, I'll be dead before I can make use of all those all those castings in the garage.

So I think I'll be around here for a bit.

Pete

Reply to
artfulbodger