Tool cleaning

I have a old steel t-square (18 X 30) that has become corroded and dirty to the extent the numbers are hard to read. I have tried a few solvents and steel wool but not much luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning this flat steel tool. Thanks Robert

Reply to
RBW

Vinegar saturated with salt - soak (fully covered!) overnight. Rust and stains will be gone. Rinse well and immediately oil.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Scrub it with a bar of lava soap.