Torches can flame without propane tank connected!

This is good stuff for anybody concerned about safety...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBxOKHBTTI0

Never seen one burn that long before with the tank removed.
And what is the difference in the tanks ?
Is the alt models higher pressure ? Charge the internal (handle) tank full ?
Martin
On 10/22/2015 10:02 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

It's a bunch of pure bullshit. There is NOTHING in that handle that can store that amount of gas! There's only a tiny tube about 1/8" i.d. from the canister needle to the valve.
Someone has created that vid through editing.
Lloyd
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:02:25 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Yeah, has to be hacked. No torch head can store 15 seconds of gas like that. I believe the burp, but not the long burn. Not at all.
--
Some people confuse change with progress.
--Abraham Lincoln
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Yeah, has to be hacked. No torch head can store 15 seconds of gas like that. I believe the burp, but not the long burn. Not at all.
--
Some people confuse change with progress.
--Abraham Lincoln
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 22:22:15 -0400, "Carl Ijames"

That would help explain it, but I sincerely doubt it would run for more than a full second, even on a liquid fill. There's just no storage in those heads.
--
Some people confuse change with progress.
--Abraham Lincoln
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 22:22:15 -0400, Carl Ijames wrote:

Other faking it, yours is the only other explantion I could think of ; but there would need to have a check valve that would prevent gas venting out the "bottom" of the torch, forcing gas to exit thru the tiny gas orifice in the nozzle to sustain the burn time.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

tiny

There is. There's a tiny ball-check at the tip of the canister needle.
Without that, there wouldn't be _any_ "burp" after the torch was unscrewed from the gas bottle.
That still won't account for an amount of gas in the short riser tube necessary to make it burn that long -- even if it were all liquid.
Lloyd
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:07:22 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I tend to agree with you.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

tiny

There is. There's a tiny ball-check at the tip of the canister needle.
Without that, there wouldn't be _any_ "burp" after the torch was unscrewed from the gas bottle.
That still won't account for an amount of gas in the short riser tube necessary to make it burn that long -- even if it were all liquid.
Lloyd ===============================================================I didn't know for sure that there was a check valve, but I thought there was a good chance there was one. Lloyd, you posted that you tried this, and you probably did what I'm about to suggest :-). If liquid is the key the best way I can think to do it would be to light the torch and hold the tank with the valve straight down to maximize the flow of liquid, then let the torch burn for a few minutes to make sure the torch tubing is flooded with liquid. Keep the tank upside down, turn off the torch, and unscrew the torch from the tank as quickly as you can to minimize venting as the check ball seats, then point the torch up to minimize the flow of liquid into the flame, and pull the trigger. Also, all tanks should give the same results, but maybe the differences were in how he had the tank oriented, how long he kept the torch lit, and how fast the he unscrewed the torch? If that doesn't work, then I can't see how he did it without cheating.
----- Regards, Carl Ijames

I did _exactly_ that, allowing the torch to run long enough to ensure there was liquid in the riser tube. 0.7 second 'puff'. It _was_ the longest one, most being under 1/3 second.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

I did _exactly_ that, allowing the torch to run long enough to ensure there was liquid in the riser tube. 0.7 second 'puff'. It _was_ the longest one, most being under 1/3 second.
Lloyd =======================================================Thanks, Lloyd, I knew you would be thorough. I completely agree with you, there has to be a gimmick of some kind, like Photoshop or a little tank in the handle or a clear plastic supply tube :-).
----- Regards, Carl Ijames
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:43:37 -0400, "Carl Ijames"

What for? Gas is in and out of those torch heads in a split second.

The probable problem with that is that the ball would be creating a bit of a venturi effect, vaporizing the liquid before it could get through. My best SWAG.

I haven't ever demoed a propane cylinder. Do they have liquid tubes in them, or are they straight openings from outside in?
- To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change the world who are causing all the trouble. --Anonymous

Larry, you're correct, but we still had to "challenge" the concept.
It's the case that the common propane cylinders do NOT have a 'dip tube', just a top-valve/oriface. In fact, it _appears_ that the ball-check produces less of a pressure drop than does the 'micron filter' just preceding the outlet, so there is a remote possibility that the tube between valve and tank _might_ fill with liquid. I think it may have - at least some - since the 'burp' I got when running it inverted was a bit longer (by a fraction of a second) than the burp gotten when I burnt it upright.
The whole thing is a scam, to confuse people.
Lloyd
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:20:31 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

It only confuses Lilliputians. As we all know, Gullible Travels.
- To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change the world who are causing all the trouble. --Anonymous
Larry Jaques wrote:

It seems to really confuse someone who -
Says he doesn't own a torch. Doesn't know how they work. Refuses to believe that those of use who DO own these torches and actually use them know anything about them. Thinks that when we actually test them out and cannot duplicate a video, that WE must be the ones who are wrong. And who hides behind a fake name---
HMM sounds a LOT like another dipstick we all know on here--- J.B.
--
Steve W.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/10218288/CIA-running-arms-smuggling-team-in-Benghazi-when-consulate-was-attacked.html
The left tried very hard to roast Reagan for smuggling arms to the Contras but indignantly dismisses allegations that they did the same thing as a partisan witch hunt.

I do it ALL the time; in fact, I ONLY do that. I never transport a torch on the can -- too likely to be broken. A friend actually had one fall in his vehicle and light... The damage was fairly minor, but it scared the crap out of him.
And yes, I've done it in all positions of the can relative to the torch.
The thing about "other brands" of propane is pure crap, too. Propane liquifies/boils at a certain well-defined pressure/temperature curve. "Brands" don't matter.
LLoyd
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 03:57:39 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

I wonder. Firstly, propane gas is heavier than air and secondly propane boils at minus 44 degrees (F) at sea level. So how much will be left inside a torch body after more than a second?
Yes, I saw the guy do it but I would guess that had he waited one more second his "trick" wouldn't have worked.
--
cheers,

John B.