Very clever machinist, Keith Fenner.

Neglect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExIpXTRRUvs

Resurrection
The refurbishment of the Wood chop saw, seen in Neglect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmwi2QR3Ug

Resurrection Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85w4cwbX-8

Resurrection Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D2MjJIqJK4

Resurrection Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6kfOpB1DJk

Resurrection Part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK7eUCh92Tk

Resurrection the final episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RahkylmOYY

I have a new found appreciation for machinists thanks to this guy.

Keith is one of my favorite youtube machininists. I like the weird ways he sometimes uses his camel back drill press for machining work.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Yep, Keith F., Adam, Lyle, Keith R. are just some of the ones I watch. All great guys who know what they are doing in the shop.
--
Steve W.

On 12/10/2016 11:00 PM, Jim Barber wrote:

Thanks, Jim. I learned what the funny thing that I now know if an attachment for a dial indicator to measure the inside of something on a lathe. My brother's father-in-law was a machinist and curt got all his tools. He gave me a bunch of stuff and one of the little lever devices was there. I am sure it has a name. but now I know how to use it if I need to.
The pouring of the babbit bearings reminded me of Dad replacing the babbit bearings in his sawmill. I was perhaps 8-9 years old. He did it in the back yard. I was really surprised at his skill. Guess farmers had to learn to repair everything!
Paul

While there are always exceptions, farmers and folks from former commie countries seem REAL good at fixing and making stuff, even when they don't the right tools or supplies. Being able to flip through a catalog or go to a variety of stores to buy tools and supplies is something that's just not an option during tough times, which could last decades in former com bloc places.
For giggles I like to try real "country" type repairs on stuff. Sometimes they really do hold up. One of the longest lasting valve seat material I came up with was a 2 liter pop bottle cap. It's tough plastic and has an extra coating on the inside surface. It easily outlasts a flat rubber washer.
On 12/11/2016 1:00 AM, Jim Barber wrote:

Well that was a nice way to kill an hour+, sure glad I was at work. Mikek