Fenner powertwist v-belt question

My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3 other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt. Will this cause any trouble?

At least the belt only goes one way, and the belt stops and tension is removed when the brake is set, but the belt does twist from horizontal to vertical pulleys.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I wouldn't use a segmented belt if an idler pulley bears on the back of it. I think the uneveness could cause problems. You might just get away with it if the idler pulley is of a large diameter, but I still think that it isn't a great idea.

That sounds like a really complicated drive. Do you have any pictures? It might be that there is a straightforward (but not obvious) way of replacing the belt. But then again it might be every bit as hard as it looks!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

"Nick Hull" wrote: (clip)BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt. Will this cause any trouble? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There is a possibility that the segmented belt will not like the reverse bend that the idler pulley produces. But what is the risk? A broken belt? If a link on the segmented belt lets go, you can replace it and still use the belt. THEN you will have to go through all the work you were hoping to avoid. Or, if it lasts quite a while before breaking, you could keep fixing it, and avoid the hard work indefinitely.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

When you say the idler pulley bears on the outside, I assume you mean the outer face of the belt, correct? I see no problem with this, as the locking tabs of a PowerTwist belt run on the inside: the outer face of PowerTwist belts are relatively flat.

But to be sure, you should check with the manufacturer, Fenner Drives:

1-800-243-3374

This, to me, is a much greater concern than the idler pulley issue. I don't know if the PowerTwist belts would like a 90 deg twist in travel. Again, you should ask Fenner.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Why not contact A Dixon dealer and ask them if there's an easier way. I use the power twist belts too, and I like them a lot. Pete Stanaitis

Nick Hull wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Maybe your segmented belts are different from the ones I can buy in England. The ones I can buy are pretty uneven on the outer surface, despite the fact that the locking tabs run on the inside. I can't find a manufacturer's name in the catalogue, but they aren't cheap. £100 ish for a 5 m reel, and they don't sell short lengths. If you can find someone who'll sell you a short length of segmented belt, by all means try it, but personally I wouldn't risk buying a whole reel.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have no trouble buying short lengths of belt locally.

Yes I mean the idler bears on the outter face of the belt. I'll probably buy a segment when the stores open and try it, I have little to lose at this point.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Won't work because of the twist in the belt. The segments are not meant to twist during use. Also the idler will bounce a lot and cause the belt to slip bad because of the segmented back. The Dixon isn't that bad to change the belts on once you have it apart. Change ALL the belts when you have it apart.

Reply to
Steve W.

Then why do they call it powertwist?

How does the idler bounce when it is fixed, not sprung?

I can see changing all belts if I have it that far apart, but where do I get a service manual for the Dixon? All I can find on their web site is an owner's manual, that doesn't even tell how to tension the belts much less replace them.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Because that is how you assemble the belt segments. They interlock by twisting one segment into another. If your Dixon is one that uses the twisted belt in the drive a segmented belt will fail very shortly, they are OK when used flat and with the pulleys providing the tension but with any twisting or idler they don't usually work very well. Just the way they are made.

Fixed or sprung the belt will still bounce because of the rear surface of the belt not being flat.

What model is it?

May have a book here on it as well. At least they don't have the drive system of a Struck mini dozer...

Reply to
Steve W.

Have you actually tried it? The twist is fairly slow, it takes about 2 feet to wrist 90 deg. How fast a failure is 'very shortly', I would be happy if it would last the rest of this year.

Dixon 542. The book listings below do not mention that model

I would love to get a repair manual that covers the Dixon 542. Currently my e-mail is screwed up by Earthlink 'improvements' but you can contact me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. I'd appreciate any help.

Reply to
Nick Hull

scroll down... the parts lists show the belt arangements fairly well. :^)

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Yep I know them all too well.......