Bridgeport V belt Required

Belt starting to disintegrate.

Anyone know part number for replacement belt from one of the more common v belt manufacturers.

Info I have here is Gilmer belt part 4LS 345

RS Components have no cross reference for Gilmer belts.

Thanks

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

manufacturers.

I just used a link belt on mine. OK, so some folks say that they're not designed to be reversible but experience from the US suggests that it's not a problem in light-ish use.

It would be typical of Bridgeport to make it a part that is unique to them - as the timing belt is!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

belt manufacturers.

My guess is it's an imperial belt... A section is 13mm wide at the back, and

8 mm deep, the B type is 17 by 10,

the 345 is likely to be the loop length in tenths of an inch = 34.5"=876.3mm

an A section 880mm is RS 338-6672 @ £ 2.91, the B section 870mm is RS 338-6903 @ £ 3.77,

these are your nearest metric equivalents if I'm correct

Hope this helps

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

It's A section - that's what I used. And the link belt version is much easier to fit!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Try Seagar Bearings in Kings heath Birmingham, They are great for odd sizes, old sizes ect

Reply to
X5

Do you have contact details for them, please? I used them in the dim and distant past when I was at bham.ac.uk and was very pleased with them. I am _so_ glad they are alive and thriving.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Montrose

Thanks to you all.

Have a couple of bearing companies that sell belts within a mile of me. They just don't recognise the numbers I gave them.

Using the Bridgeport everyday so don't want to take the top off until I have the belt here, a lot of work to catch up on at the moment.

There are a couple of companies that advertise rebuilds, no doubt they have belts in stock. Thought I could get one locally, been doing a lot of tapping in the week and the belt is slipping.

Thanks Charles and Johnathan. Linked belt would have helped if I had one here to put on. Could get one from the numbers Johnathan gave, but won't know if it will fit until I get the top off and try it. Don't want to have the machine stripped down not in use for a couple of days as I have to get this work done before middle of next week.

Cheers

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel