Link V belt in varidrive?

I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience with these type of belt in a var-drive? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I don't know about the DoAll saws, but the Bridgeport 2J head I have has a tapped hole in the end of the motor shaft, and a square U-shaped piece can straddle the end of the shaft and the snap ring, and be drawn down by one of the bolts which holds the cover plate on, so you can then reach in with the Snap ring pliers and release it with no load on it.

I hope that something like this will work for you. Look att he setup to see if something similar is possible.

At least the Brigeport uses a rather wide belt, and rather thick, so the width definition is a lot firmer than a link belt could be, so if it is similar in the belt you need to replace, it would likely not work.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have a link belt on my small lathe. It works ok.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've seen link belts from 3/8 to 5/8 width, but some equipment may require something else. Make sure you can get a belt that will work before committing to that course. Also, link belts ARE expensive compared to v-belts or cog v-belts.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The saw varidrive is not the same as the Bridgeport varidrive. They work in a similar fashion but are not held together the same, don't have a spring, and don't use the same type belt. The saw uses a regular v belt. Eric

Reply to
etpm

On my wood and on my metal lathes I have link belts. Two widths. The wood lathe had bearings that ran in open races with grease pots. Taking that apart and maybe not the other caused me to try in the first place.

The belts are tough. They take wearing in - going from flat to V like. The length needs shortening after a wear in period takes place.

Mart>> I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
etpm