TPP Unraveling

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- More than 1,000 people filed a lawsuit against the Japanese government Friday seeking to halt its involvement in the 12-country talks for a Pacific Rim free trade agreement as "unconstitutional."

The plaintiffs said, however, the TPP would change a number of rules and regulations concerning people's lives "for the sake of the freedom and profits of global corporations."

One lawyer in a 157-member legal team working for the plaintiffs said the TPP is "a risky pact that would fundamentally overturn domestic systems."

As for an investor-state dispute settlement clause which the TPP member nations are negotiating to introduce to give a multinational company the right to sue a state for compensation, the plaintiffs expressed opposition saying it would jeopardize Japan's judicial independence.

Seems people around the world are wising up to corporate goverence in the form of trade agreements.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

This is always a hot topic for debate, but the trouble with it is that most people don't know that we already have such agreements -- probably over a hundred of them -- and we have since 1966. So has Japan.

The press has done a terrible job of pointing this out to people. There even is an organization under the WTO, formed in 1965, which arbitrates and administers the legal proceedings in these suits: the ICSID, which is the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes.

Rather than get into a discussion about it now, take a look at this very succinct explanation by an expert in the field, published in the Washington Post. It will give you a very quick insight and perspective into what's going on. Whether you like it or not is up to you:

Ed Huntress

That's good news.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

==================== Indeed!

One of the critical needs in the current situation is a central clearing house for citizen action groups to exchange information on the continual efforts of the supranational corporations to usurp national sovereignty, and the [success of] stratagy/tactics which have been used to combat such efforts to identify the corporations/individuals and their weak points.

Long before the age of the internet, the critical need for communication and cooperation among citizen actions groups [and the education of their membership, particularly in history to avoid repeating the same mistakes] was identified and stressed by John William Cooke.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Hear, hear! Please let me know if you find any.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Companies and organizations have used electrical networking in some form before the internet (like telegraphs) since the 1850s which was long before Mr. Cooke.

International cooperation and development has occurred between organizations for cartel or monopolistic reasons even before then.

Reply to
walter_evening

================== Indeed they have, but is only now with the Internet/WWW that the same capability is available to almost all individuals at minimal/no cost.

With the development of web based translators such as Bing

and Google
the last barriers [other than inertia] to a free flow/exchange of information have been eliminated.

I don't know how to start this, but the citizen action groups, including the unions and political parties, in every country where a particular transnational is active such as GMC, ADM and Monsanto, should be directly exchanging information about their corporate practices, newly introduced products, press releases threatening to move unless their taxes are cut, actual plant closures*, etc. and tactics used to contain these types of activities. If anyone has suggestions, I can host this "information exchange" on my web site

at least to start.

  • one example
    FWIW: It is this type of corporate action that is producing the surge of economic refugees currently flooding across our southern border. This should also put other governments on notice about providing "economic development" funding for Intel, which obviously has excess capacity.
Reply to
F. George McDuffee