Transposing

I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B equal?Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Time Traveler

see this

AB ___ = C A+B

AB = C(A+B) AB = CA + CB AB - CB = CA B(A-C) = CA CA B = ____ A-C

Reply to
Ignoramus29808

ab/(a+b)=c ab=c(a+b) (multiply both sides by a+b b= c(a+b)/a (multiply both sides by 1/a)

Reply to
william_b_noble

1

:/

Reply to
Halcitron

(A x B)/(A + B) = C

B =-(A x C)/(C - A)

My son is taking Algebra II this year, so I've had to refresh my skills. I minored in Mathematics in college, but that was a long time ago....

I found Maxima, a cool open source Computer Algebra System that helps me check his homework. See

Also, a GUI front end for it, WxMaxima, at
I run the software on Linux (Fedora Core 3), but there are Windows version available.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

Only if you use the appropriate units...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

The battle of New Orleans.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

B = 7

Use one of the two universal answers, 7 or Lewis and Clarke.

When confronted with a number question if you have no idea always put

  1. If it is a word quewtion and you don't know always use Lewis and Clarke.

A number of years back an English teacher at a previous school was really ripped at me. She wanted to know why my shop students were answering Lewis and Clarke on her tests. Apparently she did not know about the universal answers.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

"shopping"

Or "42"

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks guys to the ones who gave positive replies.

Reply to
Time Traveler

Depending on values of parameters B and C, my reply could be positive as well as negative.

Ignoramus29361

ab / (a+b) = c ab = c * (a+b) ab = ac + bc ab - bc = ac b*(a-c) = ac b = ac / (a-c)

Yours,

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

except when a = c (in which case a and c would both be 0, and b could be anything )

Hans

Reply to
Hans van Dongen

You mean in which case (a-c) would be 0 and b would be undefined?

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

If a = c = 0, the solution (b) is not undefined. Any value is a valid solution.

Ignoramus6685

That reminds me of the "universal references" we used in college - Snow, Buzzi and Feene.

We'd reference an article in the "Journal of Applied Whateveritwas", Vol. XX, Issue YY, purportedly written by those three eminent men of science.

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are final exams, there will be prayer in public schools"

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yup, I was tought (waay back) that Thou shalt not devide by Zero, so in the last step a special case should be made for a-c =0; (I'm assuming a+b 0 since that was given) ab/(a+b) = a ab =a(a+b) ab -a^2-ab =0 a^2 = 0 a = 0 => c = 0

in the original equation: 0b/b = 0 b can be anything and yes, i, it's undefined (by a and c, that is)

Hans

Reply to
Hans van Dongen

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:58:40 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

0.5 if my algebra didn't duck down an alley and stop for drinks along the way.
Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gentlemen thanks again for the help.The formula was a product over the sum question in a physics lab to be used to find parallel resistances.After plugging in the numbers your solution was correct.

Reply to
Time Traveler