Treatment for rod-steel to prevent rust?

I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What can I do to prevent this?

I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, suggestions, etc.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Dan_Musicant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

POR15 will seal it up tight. You will need to top coat it with a UV resistant paint if it is to be used outside in the sun.

for more info.

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

Reply to
mawdeeb

Paint it.

Reply to
asdf

:Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an :> environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What :> can I do to prevent this? :> :> I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, :> suggestions, etc. : :Paint it. Awright. :)

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

:Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an :> environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What :> can I do to prevent this? :> :> I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, :> suggestions, etc. : :Paint it.

Well, I did. But after finishing I realized I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I'd just cleaned it up and put a long strip of clear plastic tape on the rods. Would have been smoother, done the job and I'd have been done in 10 minutes. It took me well over an hour (probably 2) to paint them. Two coats of anti-rust + a coat of varnish, some sanding, feh!

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

You never said you didn't need it to last long which I doubt it will.

Reply to
asdf