Treatment for rod-steel to prevent rust?

I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What
can I do to prevent this?
I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, suggestions, etc.

POR15 will seal it up tight. You will need to top coat it with a UV resistant paint if it is to be used outside in the sun.
www.POR15.com
for more info.
Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Paint it.
:Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an :> environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What :> can I do to prevent this? :> :> I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, :> suggestions, etc. : :Paint it. Awright. :)
:Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> I'm going to use some rod steel (3/16 to 1/4 inch, not sure) in an :> environment where it will develop some rust unless treated somehow. What :> can I do to prevent this? :> :> I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything. Thanks for any links, :> suggestions, etc. : :Paint it.
Well, I did. But after finishing I realized I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I'd just cleaned it up and put a long strip of clear plastic tape on the rods. Would have been smoother, done the job and I'd have been done in 10 minutes. It took me well over an hour (probably 2) to paint them. Two coats of anti-rust + a coat of varnish, some sanding, feh!
Dan_Musicant wrote:

You never said you didn't need it to last long which I doubt it will.