Trouble Tramming a Burke Millrite in the Y direction

Hi Group:

Well, the saga of my "new" Burke Millrite mill continues. You may remember my post of my stupid mistake of raising the knee so high the elevating screw slipped out of the knee "nut". I just wanted to clean the gibs.....

Bob May had some very good suggestions to loosen the knee gibs and let the knee "drop" back into the nut. Good idea, except (as I found out) the nut was so full of crud that the screw would not re-engage the threads.

What finally worked was to loosen the gibs per Bob, and jack up the knee itself with a floor jack and 2x4 to raise the knee/elevating screw COMPLETELY out of the nut.

I scraped/cleaned the crud out of the threads in the nut, added lots of way oil, lowered the jack to drop the knee and viola... a working knee!!

I found tramming the head in X direction to be no problem.. Easy to adjust by tapping the head. I have less than .0015 difference when rotating the spindle left and right.

However, this is a fixed head unit and in the Y direction, I have .006 difference between the front and back.

I see no way to adjust the head front to back, so I am assuming I have to adjust the knee gibs to get the table adjusted to the head. Yes??? or no? After an hour of adjusting the knee gibs, I am still no closer than .006 front/back. So, maybe adusting the knee gibs is NOT the way to go.

I am using a .0005 indiator mounted in a 3/4 rod/collet swinging a radius of about 5". I am swinging the indicator over a set of matched 123 blocks to avoid running the indicator over the table slots.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve Koschmann

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

Steve I havn't actually seen one of these machines, but if its the one on this page -

First- Have you checked the flatness of the table itself? Lock the knee and the x-axis(with the table in the center) and using a 1-2-3 block or a long parallel move the table from front to back and indicate the table top. Next, with the table to the front, set the indicator and release the knee clamps. If you get any movement then the gibs need to be adjusted. Repeat this after adjustment, if you still have a discrepency in the front to back readins then you will have to look at the surface between the head and the ram. Another quick check would be to lower the quill and place an indictor on the front of the quill and raise or lower the table it see if there is any misalignment there, this should tell you if the head if off. Then you may have to shim the face of the head where it attaches to the ram. Although you may want to take it off and check the surfaces for wear first. Maybe time to brush up on scraping techniques :-)

Steve Koschmann wrote:

Reply to
James P Crombie