Older type electric motors at auction

Our local auction has around 8 older electric motors set to be sold off in tomorrow's sale. The motors are all from different manufacturers and range from 1/2 hp to 3/4 and all are 1ph. Some of the motors are quite large and all the housings are the old-fashioned type: heavy cast.

I have been looking for a good motor to run a belt sander in my home shop but what I don't know is what are the potential disadvantages vs. the advantages.

Can anybody make some comments?

TIA, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

The one thing that may be of concern is if the motors are dust proof. It could be that a TEFC motor would be a better choice than one of the older motors, which are likely not to be well suited to that application. Just a thought.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Do you have any idea what RPM you want to run your belt sander?

Reply to
Tony

Don't bother. I routinely buy NEW 1/2 or 3/4 HP motors on Ebay for around $30. Shipping was only $8 for the last one.

Reply to
Len S