Turbine HVLP systems?

Just saw this -- turbine HVLP?

What the heck is this all about? I have an HVLP gun that I use with a compressor but never heard of a turbine.

Can someone give me the lowdown on it?

Plus positives and negatives?

Reply to
mkr5000

Been around for years. It's a self contained unit. The turbine works like a squirrel cage blower and creates the pressure the gun requires.

Pos. - Self contained unit, don't need a compressor or filters to keep oil out. No wait for the compressor to catch up. No special wiring, most plug into a 110 line.

Neg. - Self contained unit, usually the hoses are not that long and are bulky. You need to figure out a way to get clean air to the turbine to avoid problems. Many use a non standard gun design. Parts can be very expensive.

I have one of the lower end models. Works ok for the most part. I don't use it for auto work though. I painted the interior of the shop, and some house walls with it.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have one for sale, Graco/Croix CX-8

Ignoramus3519

That's one of the better ones. We had an 800 in the old shop, mainly used it for texture work.

The 8 also has a small compressor that fed the pressure pot. Yours the 2 quart or the 2 gallon?

Graco still stocks the housing filters and most of the parts.

What are you asking for it?

Reply to
Steve W.

Did it work well?

2 quart

$100 plus shipping

Ignoramus3519

it has been promised to someone

Reply to
Ignoramus3519

That's the TRUE HVLP system, what you have is what's called a conversion gun. I've got one of those, too, it's got more overspray and bounce-back than the true turbine-powered guys. Think of a vacuum cleaner hooked up backwards, that's the "turbine" and the hose is about the same size, think inches of water for pressure, not PSI. The spray droplets are wafted out in more of a cloud than a high-speed pattern. I've tried them at woodworking shows, way more than I wanted to pay at the time for what little I was using a spray gun on wood projects. They were somewhat limited as to what coatings you could spray at the time, but had about the same control as an airbrush only the pattern was a lot larger. The demonstrator was drawing letters on his easel with it. The conversion gun works, but doesn't have quite as sharp a pattern. HF now has a turbine-powered HVLP system for cheap, don't know how well it works, though. Was thinking of using one of my 20% off coupons some time when I had spare change and a turbine-shaped hole on the shelf.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

There you go. Now about my commission..... :-)

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes. You have to relearn spraying with an HVLP if you're used to a conventional gun.

I think we paid something close to $4,000.00 for it when it was new.

Reply to
Steve W.

Wow, shocking. I sold one on Craigslist yesterday for $150. I paid $50 for it at Chuck's garage sale, so I am OK. I saw one sold for $233 on eBay. I prefer $150 from a local buyer to $233 on ebay.

Ignoramus21020