Treatment of minor wounds

Let's say that I have a minor wound, such as a cut finger with some fair amount of bleeding, maybe a small piece of skin removed etc. What
is the scientifically correct way to treat it.
Use hydrogen peroxide?
Let it try in the air or use a Band-Aid?
Ignoramus3519 wrote:

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to wrap the finger in a dirty shop towel, clenching it tightly with my other fist, while hopping around with my eyes closed shouting profane words.

Everyone does it, the question is what do you do after it.

fter that you get some pvc electrical tape or msking tape and tape some paper towel to the cut and keep working.

When the pointy end of the wrecking bar took out a lower canine tooth last December, I bit down on a gause pad for about an hour while I continued the demolition, the had a bottle or two of pain remover. I will discuss further measures with my dentist in a couple weeks. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Eeeew. Dental damage - that sounds nasty.

That reminds me of one of my favorite memories of Sue Frost, a fellow SCA/RennFaire merchant back in the day. We were both working an event in Smithville, MO(?) when she lost a filling. It left a sharp point on the tooth that has cutting her cheek.
After several hours suffering with it, Sue asked me to look and see if there was any way to reduce the point. I ended up filing off the point with the file blade on my Swiss Army Knife which seemed to work well enough temporarily.
She went to her dentist when she got home and he asked her who she'd had do the temp work. She replied: "My blacksmith."

i have yet to see a scientific answer, so here's what i do:
Deep cut, if otherwise clean, I let it bleed freely long enough to wash out the wound, then I wipe the blood off and quickly wrap it with a bandaid. Speed is of the essence.
If it's dirty and must be cleaned, I prefer to use antiseptic liquid soap, again quickly. I would prefer to keep it bleeding after i have washed and dried, again to cleanse, then wrap.
If there is a skin flap, I treat it like a regular cut, very much prefer not to clean except with blood, and bandage with flap in place.
Obviously the key to me is to not wash or dress with anything unless there is a likelihood that bacteria were introduced, i.e. cut on a jagged piece of rusty metal outside. I'd rather let the natural processes work as intended. Alcohol and peroxide dry it out too much, and salves block oxygen.
Works for me.

I usually put the cut finger in my mouth. It does not affect hopping around, but does keep me from shouting profanities. I am of the opinion that if you don't exercise your immune system, it becomes weak. So the follow up treatment is a band aid or tape to staunch the flow of blood.
Dan
Salt water. Sea Salt is great. I used to get cut on coral and after a few hours of skin diving - the cut would heal over and be soft skin.
After-all - so much of us is salt water - mostly water with salt.
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Superglue and man-up!
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:58:15 -0500, Ignoramus3519 wrote:

The recommendations at <http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/firstaid/after-injury/041.html closely match what several well-informed doctors have told me recently, for example when I had a nevus removed or a cut thumb stitched or biopsies.
In particular, the sections "How should I clean a wound?" and "Should I use a bandage?" seem informative and correct. The section "Should I use an antibiotic ointment?" [which says antibiotic ointments help keep out infection and keep the wound clean and moist; that "a bandage does pretty much the same thing"; and that "most minor cuts and scrapes will heal just fine without antibiotic ointment"] is more neutral than the advice I received, which was to not use antibiotic ointments on small cuts, even if other doctors recommended it. For example, using petrolatum (petroleum jelly, Vaseline) was recommended instead.
The warnings in <http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/travelsafetytips/firstaidtips/wounds.htm to not 'let a wound "breathe" or air out' and to not 'leave a wound uncovered' do not reflect what I think I was told.
--
jiw

This is exactly whY I was asking. A lot of conflicting recommendations.

I close my boo boos with masking tape for a couple days and they heal quite nicely. I am quite sure it is not the scientifically correct way but it is handy and quick and I don't drip blood all over my work. Steve
Ignoramus3519 wrote:

Call Obama and demand help.

Ignoramus3519 wrote:

Bleed it, clean it, super glue it.
cavelamb wrote:

That's pretty much it, once clean if you can close the wound, super glue really is basically the same as Dermabond. Just make sure it really is clean first lest you just give an infection a nice place to fester.
Pete C. wrote:

Even if there are a few germs in the wound, if you can get some super glue down to them - they aren't going anywhere!
It has to be the best way to treat a cut.
cavelamb wrote:

I consulted SWMBO (a microbiologist). She gave her advice as personal orders to me.
1) Do not use superglue. Dermabond is used in nice clean operating theaters. You (I) do not conduct most activities in nice clean operating theaters. An anerobic bacterial infection is a good way to lose an appendage.
2) Clean the wound with soap and water. Rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide. Apply light film of triple antibiotic ointment, cover with a sterile dressing. Keep it dry and clean until it heals.
3) Do not use plain petroleum jelly. See anerobic infection, above.
4) In the event of a laceration, present said laceration to microbiologist to determine if it is a rare instance where (2) above above does not apply.
5) MRSA is everywhere, and you (I) don't want it.
Kevin Gallimore
I don't have any experience with super glue. But, I've used triple antibiotic (with pain control) to advantage. Sterile bandages are good.
The greasy shop rag and dancing around hollering profanity, I can relate to that approach.
Call Obama, and be ready with your social security number, medicare number, and be prepared to wait for several weeks.
I've heard that hydrogen peroxide and alchol do tissue damage. Though, I have used peroxide on very small wounds.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus