Guess the cause of the accident?

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Reply to
/.

Ouch.

Sure hope your not a republician. The democraps around here will be calling for the grand jury for you having an accident.

Reply to
Tm

I want to look at your link, just like I want to look at the link posted on Hobart's forum regarding a angle grinder accident, but I just can't do it. The sight of blood makes me absolutely sick.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
JR North

Chuckle!

You should be able to handle this one, then. Looks like a ring came in contact with something electrical-----no blood involved. A red ring around the finger----skin fully intact. I'd say it's rare to medium rare, but only on the surface.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

You go to the ER because of that!? Say, what do you do if you _hurt_ yourself? Have an emergency funeral?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Reply to
carneyke

I'm guessing you shorted out a car battery using your wedding band, maybe an alternator replacement? From the skin damage I would guess that it was not the back of your hand that did the shorting.

I note you wrote "was wearing". Any damage to the wedding band? I've seen noticable chunks get molten etc in similar shorts on hand tools. Did the band stay on to the emergency room or what?

That's gonna hurt for a while till all the skin comes back... I've gotten similar burns on the palm of my hand and it gets worse before it gets better. Surprisngly no scarring (maybe because I was younger at the time?)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Snagged the ring while grinding or drilling?

Reply to
Steve W.

The technical term is:

Ring Avulsion.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

It's not that bad. Well, I should qualify that by saying I've been an EMT for a dozen years, so "not that bad" from me could mean pretty much anything. But it's not that bad, my guess is chemical burn.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:50:36 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

I put a coffee can lid into the bone of my right index fingertip a couple weeks ago and instead of going to get 10-12 stitches (for "only" $1,000) at the ER, I cleaned and butterflied it together with Bacitracin in about 5 minutes. 4 days later I took the bandaid off and though it's still sore, it had healed nicely. I sanded a bit of the dead skin off (maybe cuticle thickness) and it doesn't get in my way any more. I bled like a stuck pig that first few minutes. Wow!

Why the ER trip for a simple burn, /.? Yo no grokko, amigo.

Al, -don't- go to this site, either.

Especially this one:
-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------
Lawyer-free Website Development

Reply to
ljaques

I stopped wearing any and all jewelry about 30 years ago. Except my wedding band when I go out of town.

My wife was once an electronics tech and she's fine with it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That's nothing - last week I popped a welding rod into one ear and it came out the other. No trip to the emergency room - I just left it in place. Great reception on my iPod. Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Yo Yo string?

I saw a friend pull off his class ring right after it arched over to the frame working on a live starter cable, took all the skin off and he didn't say more than five cuss words.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

So, you gonna spill what your (rather minor-looking) stupid was, or leave us guessing?

Reply to
Don Bruder

Shit, that's a bargin! I had medical insurance and STILL paid almost $1000 US for 4 damned stitches in my knuckle when I busted it open a few years back... yeah yeah, I was sword fighting but I was wearing ARMOUR! The best part is, a med student did it and I still paid the Doctor to look at her work, AND she left me with bad scarring.

Mike in Warrensburg

Reply to
Mike Martin

That is what I thought it looked like as well! Hence the photos and the posting.

Actually it was a tall cafe americano from an espresso stand at our local grocery store. I purchased the americano for my wife and a latte for myself, turned around and realized that my wife wasn't behind me anymore, stacked both drinks in my right hand to move the shopping cart and over the americano went. Stupid reactions did me in, I stuck my left hand out to catch it and the top came off emptying the contents right onto my hand. I wear a simple platinum wedding band and am guessing that it retained a bunch of the heat energy (or just allowed the coffee to pool up) and directed it into my finger, which is why the burn is so much deeper where the ring sat. Reactions again - I shook the coffee off and yanked the ring off... that is when I decided that a trip to the ER was in order since it took a fair chunk of the skin with it as I yanked the ring off.

All in all a *really* stupid way to hurt oneself. I now know that an americano is made by mixing a shot or two of espresso with boiling water, and exactly what dumping a cup of nearly boiling water onto your hand feels like. I also have a little more empathy for that lady the sued McD's over the coffee in the lap episode, and no, I would never even consider trying to sue someone else for my own stupidity.

For you guys giving me gump for hitting the ER over such a 'minor' issue - I have good health insurance, why not use it when I need it? Once every 9 year or so isn't too bad of a record!

Reply to
/.

Was that all he knew?

jk

Reply to
jk

Most of us set "Par for the course" at Not needing to see guys like you. So almost anything you see industrial is likely more than we figure as "Not that bad"

Reply to
Brent Philion