Two lathe chuck questions

First I have a 3 jaw chuck that came with a lathe I bought that doesn't use the same mount. the chuck is new unused but small (4") it has a 2-1/8 hole in the back with 4 pins that only protrude out a small amount. take a look

Second I am looking for a backing plate for a South Bend heavy 10 that uses the 2-1/4 x 8 TPI spindle.

Reply to
waynemak

Wholesale Tool has 3 different sizes:

You might also find one on eBay.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That is an adjustable chuck. It needs to be bolted to a suitable backplate. You need a big boss in the center of the backplate for the buttons to press against. This allows you to move the chuck around slightly to compensate for small errors in the scroll and jaws. You can set it up so it will center the same size work to high precision. You just loosen the 6 axila bolts, adjust the centering, and then tighten the axial bolts. This is probably a knock-off of a Buck "adjust-tru" chuck. They are VERY nice!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yep. Score!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

This is probably a knock-off of a Buck "adjust-tru" chuck. They are VERY nice!

Everyone has knocked-off the Adjust-True.

Hell, even HSM-ers have converted conventional, off-the-shelf scroll chucks to set-true capability.

Here are my 4" (100mm) and 6-1/4" (160mm) implementations.

Peter H.