Update about people running in my yard around curve

I talked to the state and they said there is nothing they can do. Signs are already posted. They said they cant put up a guardrail because there is not a drop off. (It is not a deep ditch.)

Reply to
Don

I think your yard would look much better with a decorative water feature right at that spot. Something about 3 feet deep, 15-20 feet in diameter, with a 3-4 foot high rock waterfall on the side closest to the road and facing the house so you can see it when you look out the windows.

I have one like that in my back yard and it's very nice.

wwnnkwim?

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Consider cold weather.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well, there's your answer, right there! PUT IN a deep ditch! Then, you won;t really have to worry about whether the state puts in a guardrail or not - you'll be protected.

Also, I've NEVER heard of anyone getting sued over a rock in their yard. If the rock was in the road right of way, that is a dangerous obstruction. But, if it is in your yard, well off the road, it is the negligence of the driver that they entered your property and hit the thing.

(But, then I'm not a lawyer, and I'm in a state (Missouri) where this sort of thing doesn't go over well.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It does seem kind of strange to me that in a country where it is apparently acceptable to shoot someone in defence of your property and welfare, that there would be any handwringing over putting a large obstacle in your own yard to prevent someone from running into your house, or over one of the residents of the property.

Two years ago, near my neighbourhood, an impaired driver run off the road in a residential area, and into a house. She killed an occupant of the house, and one of her passengers. At least one entirely innocent person would have been saved if there had been a major obstacle in the path of that car. If all house had such obstacles, perhaps the world would be a safer place for us all. ;-)

Reply to
Peter Snell

What about it? He turns off the waterfall pump to let the line drain and that's it. He only needs to do -that- much if the temps drop down to the teens or so -and- if the line is exposed.

Many people have decorative ponds in the freezing northern climes, as you know, since you read and post on rec.ponds.

Now if he decides to keep expensive fish, there -may- be a bit more to it, but I didn't suggest that.

Also don't know where the original poster lives, other than "in the country". Could be anywhere from Miami to Anchorage (assuming OP is in USA due to speech patterns & spelling).

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

I was more thinking about the slightly reduced braking ability of water when it gets cold enough.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ahhh! (Clue bulb turns on over my head.) But that's the reason for the rock waterfall.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

I think you need at least 6 feet deep to completely submerge the car.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Drain the pond in the winter. It will make a nice "catch" basin.

Reply to
Don Wilkins

I like the rock garden idea. A bunch of rocks 1-2 feet in diameter with some bushes planted with them. May not stop the cars, but the damage it would cause would may it more enjoyable! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

If you made it 30 feet deep, and added appropriate wildlife, there would be room for several in there before you'd need to empty it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ewww. In the late '80's or so, a 10 year string of missing persons cases were solved near Freeport, Texas. A car crashed into Union Bayou from FM-522 and stuck out of the water. They ended up pulling around a dozen cars out of there with occupants in various states of decay. There was just enough of a wiggle in the road for late night drunks' cars to hit the guard rail and flip in the bayou.

The spot had been previously known as a great spot for blue crabs, really big ones.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

On 3 Mar 2004 06:02:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

_Write_ to the state, pointing out that you have now _written_ your concerns, that public safety is at risk, and that they have now been made officially aware. If no go, go either public, or to your MP (congressman or whatever?)

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Make good of a bad deal.... Buy stuff at yard sales and flea markets like bird baths, feeders, Benches, and anything you can think of that you can get cheap.... After people run over them make them pay for new ones... Keep the money and buy more junk to put out again... Its a money makeing deal....

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

Reply to
JR North

I have a small pond that I run all winter. Occasionally the line freezes. It is standard pump tubing that you buy at Lowes. When it freezes and stops flowing, I do nothing. I don't even turn off the pump. When it thaws, it starts flowing again. The pump itself doesn't freeze down 2 feet in water, only the line. You would think it would ruin something such as the lines or the pump but it doesn't. Just some input for what it is worth.

Barry

Reply to
BP

Put up a mockup of a local police vehicle.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar wrote: Put up a mockup of a local police vehicle. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ They used to use plywood highway patrol cars in the Sierra highways (California). I know of an actual case where someone drove several miles to one of those to report an accident.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:14:40 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Oh dear! Another law suit!

One has to hope that it was their offspring that were endangered.