Use for small angle grinders?

Well, somebody posted a neat site called last-minute auctions. Of course I had to try it, and wound up with 8 new 4.5" angle grinders of the Chink persuasion, and almost no cost in them. Now what to do with them. Only thing I can think of offhand is a toolpost grinder. I'm sure this has been done, so any pointers or links welcome. I'll give a few away, that leaves 4 or 5 to do something with. Can anyone suggest interesting uses for them?

Reply to
Rex B

Don't give them away, Rex! Those only work for an hour or two, so use them one after the other. Wear eye & hearing protection, take off your watch, and use anti-vibration gloves. I use them with knotted cup wheels to remove rust, with flap disks to do light grinding and to blend in welds, or with grinding wheels to do grinding.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yeah, I had a couple already. Burned up a HF version a few years ago using a cup brush to remove sound deadener. Bought a B&D at HD to remove tile grout from the entryway - worked great BTW.

I figure a couple of them will be spares, hoping the quality has improved a little. These look a lot like the B&D, with was Asian also but of apparently better quality than the HF.

Reply to
Rex B

AN HOUR OR TWO? I have a cheap HF 4.5" grinder, perhaps $16.95, that I've been using intermittently for years. It makes obnoxious noises, but just jeeps on grinding. Admittedly, I don't give it heavy continual service, but it's sure got a **LOT** more than a few hours on it.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

YMMV. My brother picked up a cheap one at a flee market. Most likely a HF unit. It last about 15 minutes before smoking. chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Before you waste one, how about throwing one in the direction of a starving artist. Can pay shipping.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

(clip) Can anyone suggest interesting uses for them? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Harbor Freight sells a little conversion kit that makes it into a belt sander. One of the most useful tools you can have for both wood and metal working.

BTW, I side with the people who say those little cheap grinders hold up well. And, yeah, the gears do have a lot of backlash, and they are noisy.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'll take $10 for one including shipping in the US. Anyone else?

Reply to
Rex B

I had forgotten about that. They also have a chopsaw attachment.

Thanks

Reply to
Rex B

Yep. Poor man's dyna-file. Have one, love it. I had to turn a collar down out of some 1.25 pipe or something to get it to fit/adapt to whatever grimly cheap grinder I was putting it on, however.

Been happy with it since, tho.

Ed Peterson

Aero Design and Mfg. Co. Inc.

8 S. 18th Ave. W. Duluth, MN 55806-2148 (218) 625-7426 Fax (218) 720-3610

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise indicated, this correspondence is a personal opinion and not an official statement of Aero Design and Mfg. Co. Inc.

Reply to
Ed Peterson

I guess that most people are like me.

I hate having to change saw blades, disks etc. -- so I have many angle grinders ready set up for use. Cut off disk, grinder disks, various grits, wire brushes, RO sander, polisher, woodcarver.

Just bought 2 more from Bunnings, $12.95 each (about $9.70US) 2 year warranty. Only light duty though, my Makita & Bosch are used for heavy work.

I also hate having to change power cables to use another tool. I have 11 double power points in the workshop, still not enough. Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

Mine too! It sounds like it's about to fall apart and has done since day one, but it keeps on grinding.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Grinder races!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Here's a trick,

Remove grinding wheel

Remove the 4 screws holding the spindel cover plate on

Remove spindle cover plate

Stare slack jawed at the fact to save a few bucks, "THEY" replaced the spindle bearing with a metal slug.

Replace metal slug with a real bearing, and be amazed at how quite the grinder becomes.

Preferable, this is done before the metal slug erodes a tremendous grove in the spindle :)

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Good suggestion. I'll take a look at that.

Reply to
Rex B

I need an extra one to keep my Lancelot bit on. It's a circular chain saw blade for wood carving work. Still got some to "give away"? To what Paypal address do I send my ten bucks?

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have 5 committed, and figured on keeping 2, so I'll call yours the last.

paypal to rex@@txol.net.

(Delete one of the @s)

Email me your shipping address.

Rex

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:13:50 -0600, the inscrutable Rex B spake:

Done!

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mount four at the corners of a plate of plywood cut to roughly the dimensions of a creeper. run the cords to four toggle switches in a hand-held control and mount a seat on top. Put on a helmet, run a long extension, and charge a $1 admission fee to all the spectators. (:

Reply to
B.B.

Reply to
John Caffrey