Atten: Iggy grinders

My brother in MA is looking for a used non Chinese grinder. Probably Baldor or possible a low speed Tormek, You got anything that could be shipped to MA? You can respond here or to my email. It's valid. Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I have one, a 3/4 HP grinder. Looks USA made.

Ignoramus4595

Reply to
Jo¾e Zaplatiè

I send my brother an email to see if he's interested. Does your business have a website? Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Iggy, if you get another, contact me.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Its a safe bet he pushed it too hard. He always pushed my stuff too hard when he was at home. Just part of being young.

He still needs a better one.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, no offense intended, but does he know how to use one?

I've seen grown men go at them as if they were 30hp, filling up the wheel with molten metal, and then pushing the workpiece in so hard it slowed the motor down to a crawl. The result is that the magic smoke is released.

Does The Kid use the proper grit wheel for the type of material he's grinding, 8" for heavier work, etc.?

I think I've seen more abuse done to grinders than any other tool in the shop. Shoving large pieces into the side of the wheel, dousing the workpiece and wheel with a gallon of water while the grinder was running, never dress the wheel, etc. It has never ceased to amaze me.

I switched to a belt sander for most of my grinding work which can't be down with an angle grinder or air body grinder, so I don't even own a regular grinder any more.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

BTDT, got the tee.

And perhaps a bit of fatherly advice and instruction.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

and then there are unstoppable grinders, 3 to 5 hp. very dangerous.

Reply to
Ignoramus23559

"Karl Townsend" wrote

I don't push tools, but my import angle grinders overheat within 5 minutes. They are good only for details that the USA grinder's 7" disk can't reach. Usually I have them set up to dig out flux pockets, wire-brush beads for inspection, get closer into corners, etc.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small grinder too get things right.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

-On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can

-afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of

-grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch

-grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small

-grinder too get things right.

-Dan

Me, too, and they are both US brands that don't heat up in continuous use. I also have a cheapo Makita-clone electric die grinder to grind inside corners.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You must be strong. I had a 9" grinder for awhile. Too heavy. I went to a 7".

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET