Uses for a ceiling fan motor

A fairly large (and heavy) ceiling fan jumped across the street and into my shop last night. Looks like it fell from it's mounting - light part is somewhat bent but the motor seems fine - must be useful for something even if I have to keep it for ten years to find a use other than a boat anchor. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Did it pass your 'incoming QA' test? Is it one of those variable speed thingys?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I heard that those motors can be used to make a ceiling fan.

Reply to
Ignoramus27337

Ship it to any random address in China, and it will soon be delivered to a retail store in the U.S., labeled as a 3/4 HP bench grinder, drill press or a 2 HP air compressor.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I put a plywood disk on one, put sandpaper on it and used it as a low speed sharpener. The motor Isn't very powerful and and will easily bog down. It works and won't overhead the blade. The reversing ability is nice for sharpening both sides of a blade in the same direction. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

LOL. I had a "3/4" hp china made grinder years ago. Was about 1/16 hp in real power.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Those Chinese horses are somewhat smaller

Reply to
RB

Same thing I told my neighbor. Miniature horses.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Last time I looked, you could get arms, blades, and fixtures seperately at the BORG...

Reply to
Glenn

I have one still. You obviously don't understand the advanced technology incorporated in it. It is designed to keep you from overheating and thus ruining the heat treat of whatever you are grinding. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Realized I still had that POS. Was moving some stuff in the garage, and there is was on end on the floor.

Reply to
Calif Bill

I agree about the 1/16 hp comment.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yup Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yabut then I would need to aquire mounting hardware and fan blades. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

If it is a Home Depot unit, they are warranteed for life. Just take it in and say it fell from the ceiling, I need a new one. Then if you are somewhat crooked, return it for store credit and get a nice tool or someithing.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Take a close look at the bearings. Some can tolerate being flipped on their side and run horizontally. Some can't.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I was going to suggest a hybrid swamp boat, motor but that won't work without the fan

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Well, it would not work without the boat either.

Reply to
Ignoramus5298

But this is metalworking. Easy to weld up an aluminum hull. A couple brackets for the motor. Brackets for the batteries, lots of brackets for lots of batteries, and engine mounts for the generator. New CNC plasma cutting table to loft the patterns.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Then Iggy'd need the swamp to run it in :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand