Using zinc rod for first time

Hello everyone,

I'm finally going to try some of that zinc filler rod for the first time to repair a cast aluminum barbecue top that cracked. The ones I bought don't have any instructions and I don't know if I should use propane, MAPP, or OA. I definitely want to avoid melting/wrecking the barbecue and, of course, have no idea what alloy the top is.

Can you folks give me some advice please?

Thank you as always,

--George

Reply to
George

Propane would work for me, but I have big fat air torches... a weenie soldering torch probably won't do anything to a grill cover, unless it's thin. MAPP in the same size is ditto unless you have a bigger torch - then absolutely. O/A seems like too much bother to me, though it'll certainly get there fast!

Does this stuff come with flux or do you rub it in? You'll probably want to vee out the crack if not.

Tim

Tim Williams

It's just the rod without anything on it.

For propane, all I have is your basic soldering torch from Bernzomatic.

Hmmm.... I'll vee out the cracks. I can take the grill hood off so gravity can work with me. I'll just use my OA torch but be careful about trying not to melt my aluminum.

I'm going to do it either yet today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how I fare.

--George

Reply to
George

If you don't have the new "turbo torch" type hi-swirl BernzoMatic, forget propane = and even MAPP will be a stretch. With the turbotorch Mapp will work fine, and you MIGHT get by with propane. Clean the repair area thoroughly, and "V" out slightly. Heat untill the rod just melts on the aluminum surface, and rub/scratch it in. I use a piece of stainless steel wire to scratch through the melted repair rod to break up any oxide on the aluminum, and it worls pretty good.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
Don Foreman

It coesn't come with flux and is generally touted as needing none -- but a flux is available. Welco #52.

I've never thought much of that zinc filler rod for aluminum, though it works well on potmetal. There used to be a material I think was called "sealcore" for gas brazing aluminum. It has flux inside the rod. It runs a bit hotter than the zinc stuff but I had very good results with it as a beginner with O/A on aluminum.

I've s>> I'm finally going to try some of that zinc filler rod for the first

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

Well, it's zinc'd together. The OA was a bit of a challenge - it heated up the base metal pretty quick even with a "0" tip on my Victor. The best method seemed to be to swirled the heat on the base and then dab with the zinc when the base was hot. Oh well. If I have it happen again, I'll just use my TinMan stuff. I guess I was hoping for super easy ... To me, it wasn't that much easier than mixing up the aluminum flux paste and then dabbing with the wire when the flux liquifies. Live and learn I guess.

--G--

P.S. I tried to wear down my wife all summer to let me get a TIG ... didn't happen :-)

Reply to
George

You have to bring the heat up slower than an oxy acet torch will allow you too. As the temp comes up "scritch" at the work area with the rod. It will not flow out like solder or brazing rod. Too much heat too fast and the zinc just burns off.

Overheat the already done areas, and the zinc burns off.

This stuff works OK, once you get the technique down.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones