Valvoline 85W-140 (SAE) Gear Oil and Clausing 8540

My manual on the 8540 specifies SAE No. 140 Hypoid Extreme Pressure Oil. I picked up the Valvoline 85W-140 SAE gear oil and it specifies that it is rated for hypoid gears and has EP additives. It also says it is GL-5 rated, but it still does not say anything about its compatibility with copper and bronzes.

Is this the same weight oil as the SAE 140 and does anyone have any idea if it is safe to use in the Clausing mill?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Straight-weight oils are typically GL1 or GL4 if memory serves, while multiweights are more likely to be GL5

According to Valvoline product catalog, it says it's recommended for manual transmissions, so it' must be OK for brass synchro rings.

Reply to
Rex B