Veteran's Day!

To my fellow Veterans, I Salute you. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Off to Applebee's with you! Vets should eat free EVERYDAY wherever they like!

A nephew finished Ranger training and is headed someplace, I hope he becomes a veteran! His propensity for languages, degree in Russian and studied Chinese, should serve him well as he wants to be involved in Intelligence and make a career of it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Send him my well wishes when you hear from him. Today's military needs all the intelligence it can get. The days of millions of soldiers on battlefields are gone, replaced by better trained troops and better technology. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A crisp snap in return. But you're 46 years too late to collect the silver dollar!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I have no need for silver dollars. They would be spent to pay my bills, anyway. :)

We had a nice turnout for our Veteran's Day ceremonies at our Veterans Park. I hope you had a good day, as well.

Michael A. Terrell

Roger that, but I'll bet you know what I said as only a vet could. Hm, maybe you don't. Army tradition was in my day that the first EM to salute a newly-commissioned 2d Lt (junior gold bar) gets a silver dollar from said JGB. My silver dollar went to MSG Sealander who had mentored me along my way to becoming a commissioned officer. I don't remember who pinned on my bars, but I sure remember MSG Sealander and SFC Cater.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I was in in the early '70s. The tradition then said that if the first enlisted man an new 2d Lt encountered didn't salute them, they would have a short career as an officer. I jinxed and entire graduating class, and had a full bird threaten to feed a green 2d Lt his brand new bars for interfering with my duty. I was carrying a 25" B& video monitor from my section's truck to the control tower and the moron kicked out the doorstop and ordered me to drop the monitor to salute him. I refused and told him off politely, but firmly. The Colonel heard us and came running, then demanded to know what was going on. I didn't wait for the Lt. to speak. I smiled and said, Sir! This idiot just ordered me to destroy US government property so he could get his first salute from an EM. He turned to the Lt. and asked, Is this true? When he didn't answer, I asked, Sir? I need to get this monitor upstairs, so they don't have to shut down this airfield! He turned to the Lt. and ordered him to open the door & hold it for me, and to apologize for interfering with my duty. As I passed him I heard the Colonel tell him, "If you ever do something that stupid again I'll feed you those bars, without the backings!"

Sometimes it pays to be assigned to one of the most mission critical sections on a base. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell