VFD recommendations for 3 HP

I have a lathe I'm trying to get ready to run on single phase, it currently has a 3hp 3ph motor. I'm looking at the drives from Automation Direct and see they have one for under $300 and a Hitachi drive for ~$350. The lathe is CNC retro (Anilam Lathemate) with a control replacment I'm doing myself. Just wondering if the Hitachi drive is worth the extra $$$ or if there is something else that would be recommended? Also, would I need any of the power or motor inductors/filters? (I plan to have the drive close to the motor)

Thanks!

Roger N

Reply to
Roger_N

I now have four Hitachi units from Automation Direct. Top quality unit from excellent company. I don't know anything about their less expensive offering, I've always stayed away from the lowest price offer out of habit. You find out after the sale why it was the cheapest one.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Other important considerations are the drive's features and documentation. A small difference in the control options of a particular drive may make a big difference on how easy it'll be to implement a specific installation, especially when you're trying to interface with existing controls. And if you can't understand the docs (and some are much better than others), all the features in the world are no good to you.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:ZPSFh.7960$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Did you use any of the line or motor side inductors or filters, or just hook up as is? I'm planning to give it a try without any of the accessory inductors & filters. My drive and spindle motor will be on their own circuit and the cnc controls will run off a separate 115V outlet, probably with an UPS on the PC and perhaps 5V encoder supply.

Roger N

Reply to
Roger_N

Didn't use any of this. Not needed.