Longshot: VFD information

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a longshot, but I'm in the middle of a Mach3 based upgrade of a Denford Orac CNC lathe, and have come to a bit of a problem regarding the spindle drive. I'm hoping to re-use the original VFD (a Parametrics Parajust "Barry Wright" FHP model, which drives the

1/2hp spindle motor), but I need to know the connection details for the drive. Obviously, I've worked out where the 3ph and 1ph connections go, but there are 6 other connection pins which I'm assuming are for control signals like 0-10V speed, start, etc etc. I know on a lot of VFD's ground is not at 0V, and can be quite high, so I'm loathe to just try plugging things in without more info.

When I bought the lathe, it was stripped with a lot of the original electronics missing so I wasn't able to trace things that way.

It also seems Oracs were fitted with a range of VFD's at different times, which further muddies the waters. So if anyone has any info which might be of use, please let me know.

The alternative is to get a new VFD, but those little pictures of the Queen are in short supply at the moment, so I'd like to try and use my exisiting one.

Cheers

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

The connections you are talking about are control/logic connections, so it's unlikely that you could do any harm without using external current while experimenting; for manual control The 0-10v speed will need to be attached to the middle leg of a pot (typically 10k Ohms), with the reference 10v and 0v attached to the other legs. as to where the 0v is in relation to ground, you'd need to start waving the Avo about. Every VFD I've come across had a different set of bespoke control logic seemingly, which is no doubt frustrating for you. If it was me, I'd have a play with some jumper wires, switches and a pot and see what happens.

cheers, David

Reply to
penfold