Waaaay OT: Question about seasoning Cast Iron

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:51:41 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Bruder quickly quoth:

It's easy. I loved my cast iron on the gas stove in my last house. I wish I'd brought it with me but I left it there. (Slapping self.) The new electric stove is great, but it doesn't cook anywhere near as well as the old Merritt De Ville, a 400lb job from the 20's. I miss that old stove more than I do Vista or California.

I heat up the pan to good-'n-hot, turn off the burner, and pour 1/2 ounce of cooking oil into it. I spread that around until the entire inside is coated and let it cool. It's ready to cook the next day. (or 30 minutes later, after it has absorbed the oil.)

Right, no soap, no brillo. Boil it clean, sometimes twice, then scrubber it out, rinse, and put on the fire to heat. Season as above.

I don't eat pork so I don't use lard, bacon, or other junk fats.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought a cheap chinese cast iron skillet for about $5. It was incredibly rough...as far as I could tell it was straight out of the casting sand. It definately needed smoothing down before seasoning.

Of course you did say "quality", and this was anything but.

Works just fine now though...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

surface of a quality cast-iron skillet before seasoning it

Reply to
crane763

JAMAIS!! NEVER!!

*gasp*

(okay.. that's it for the histrionics)

Reply to
Robatoy

You NEVER, EVER put soap on a C.I. utensil. It phosphatizes the surface and makes food stick like a tick!. The phosphates in the soap bond to the iron and anything that touches it. This is the process they use to bond paint to metals. Just keep it clean with a scouring pad and hot water, oil with vegetable or olive oil and it will develop that rich patina that is so famous. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

And one more thing: don't cook anything containing tomatoes in it, either, unless you enjoy reseasoning your cookware.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Rich

I think a lot of that sh*t was produced to be used for decorative purposes only, the one I have seems to have a heavy coating of varnish on it.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Okay, question about that process. I've been told to use lard, which I did. I found that as it heated up and lost viscosity, the surface tension of the lard cause it to bead up. Was I using too much, or too little? Would vegetable shortening respond any differently?

Reply to
alexy

The only thing I use for cooking is cast iron. I've got 5 skillets, two other pots and 3 dutch ovens (all Lodge, wouldn't have anything else). They are all well seasoned and scrambled and fried eggs come out like it was non-stick. I've always used hot soap and water with a copper or plastic scouring pad. Make sure you dry it good on the stove after it's washed. Yeah, I've heard all the don't wash opinions but this works for me.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Too little. Slather it on like an albino putting on SPF-80 sunblock, then put some more on, and when you think you've got too much, add a little more and you'll be just about right.

Same thing if you choose to go with crisco or olive oil - Put it on until you think it's too much, and you're getting close to "just right".

Reply to
Don Bruder

Dammit, Don, you owe me half a coffee, and quite possibly, a new keyboard. Hot coffee stings the sinuses, for the record.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If I had had some on hand, I would have used it. I had Crisco, so used that. I agree with the lard idea, though. I did my 12" skillet with bacon drippings and it worked well.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Of course it did -

When you get right down to it, bacon drippings = "smoked/cured lard".

Do it just right, and you can "re-render" bacon drippings back to "straight lard" state, but it's not real practical to bother - just possible.

Reply to
Don Bruder

\x??UmoÛ8 þî_Aà?vR'Mvíµ?­»×4Åö??i[­,f??Ôÿþ(9?×?+ ??òµ?Ùxº;?N&{0;?îÁÍ%|f g®+ÉA??¡æ?Û=ú8?~Bzì?e¿Äö}áúÜRHöµã@?/B?Ò??T?×W??Ó?æ?îèøû¯óP#?º0?¶9v'ÐjÛò#@[¹Ó^ñv?tÚè&×KqÕ? }k§wW,i|ËóDc?÷9ÀYç¬4E *v  ?êM`?s#0??+f3?p- ?ùkå®°???|Ðl6]j^:Vä}óíAA?ØH¥  ºrëF«æ¯`E9 ?ÝH?>?jè?I&Ã>À**èuèYð«PÑ+Ä@ÖG?\%·?F&+? ??ÃwÉ4?±Y&[5#ùäð Õè Ãw?ÕPö|ÃN2F G~ÉBm/eU9²Áô??H¸?¬p ?B× Ó ·Òd?M¡-Ç1 1?X7;L¤z[V£??©?q¨âzB?$f?Àu4õ?é{?ÿÅvÕ?¥Ð?8ð "L??,î;iÊ0N×MÈ]è?©×U"¡dï¤%??a­C*mH?f¬ ìÀÍ?¼ìló?Õè°í??!*?¥QI:e6ù¶~t?ùD{8¿A>;õp?®7²l?l¼?ÏoÏ?GYÄ!n^ Òh/?? L-x¢ïSªìy®,Û?ìºÔÖf·ç× øm_®p¶?ããã,ü?îsð¡+{?0£k?m?&{cÂV6?´U´?VÇ?\¶f罤4??þ?Úè?©ò! ?°Yh·²¢q[.Z%ÄåQ l³ì?è¡};ËU¥?F#HKK¬ ò

Reply to
Odinn

In this case, that's pretty much right :)

Having a standing pool of oil/melted lard (or crisco) covering the entire bottom of the pan while it's "cooking in" is absolutely perfect.

Reply to
Don Bruder

I'll go with that if it's fresh (as in, start the chicken then go pick the tarragon).

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday