walnut shell abrasive blasting question

Alright all you abrasive blasting nuts, i bought some crushed walnut shells for my cabinet and they work okay but they are a little on the "too big" size (they get jammed in small areas of what i'm blasting). I'm using bird bedding (as suggested by others in the rcm) because it was cheap. My question is, has anyone tried tossing this stuff in a coffee grinder and pulverizing it until it is a smaller grit? Please let me know if you have, if not, i'll answer my own question later when i go buy a grinder and make a mess with it. thanks in advance, walt

Reply to
wallsterr

Greetings Walt, Though I have not done this I have ground other hard things in a coffee grinder. Hard stuff will get finer than relatively soft stuff. But instead of the coffee grinder how about a food processor from Goodwill or some other thrift store? Much larger capacity and I bet cheaper too. The blades in a food processor are much stouter and will be less likely to break. Cheers, ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

If you use an old-style coffee grinder you will get more consistent results than with the mini-food-processor types or a full scale food processor (both of which make a lot of fines); at least it works that way with coffee beans. By old style I mean a hunk of cast iron where beans (or walnut hulls) go in the top hopper and ground material comes out the bottom, coarsness adjustable by turning a wing-nut, generally. Used to be big power units at the A&P checkout, the one I use is a hand-crank.

Assuming fines are either bad or useless, the other mill to look at for crunching stuff down might be a grain-crushing roller mill as the homebrewers use. Pretty straight-forward metalwork project, I think.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I have used hardwood sawdust in my blaster with good results mostly for degreasing and cleaning machinery. Might work for your application.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah. That other kind would be great. I wonder where to get a cheap one? Maybe a restaraunt supply? ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow