Water heater dip tube replacement

i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem. I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.) I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)

Reply to
Don

The dip tubes that I have seen are typically a plastic. Depending on the height of your tank, the tip tube is likely taller than your ceiling height. Is the cold water supply hard pumbed? If so, you get to unsolder those joints just to get at the dip tube. On most WH the manufacturer year is the first numbers of the serial number a9752532111ayz would be an 1997 (though not always the case). Depending on water conditions and the brand of WH,

7-10 years is a pretty good life.

I take it you're getting cold 'hot' water?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

You can make your own dip tube using 1/2" pipe. Use a flaring tool and flare one end. The unflared end goes into the tank. The flared end is what prevents the whole piece from dropping into your tank. This will work for replacing a dip tube. However, the folks at A.O. Smith discourage the use of homemade dip tubes. If you're in a pinch, you can make your own. If you can spare a few days, visit your plumbing supply house and have them order a new dip tube (make sure you have the make/model of the water heater so they order the right one.)

Reply to
Blackbeard

If you're short on overhead space and don't want to have to drain and tip the tanl over (or punch a hole through the ceiling ) there are multi-section dip tubes available for replacement use. check with a plumbing supply house.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

For mine, I just went to the plumbing supply store and bought a new plastic one. Has a flared end, drops right in. The old one I took out was broken off about 4" from the top.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

What does AO Smith find that is wrong with a home made (copper) dip tube?

RB

Blackbeard wrote:

Reply to
RB