Running in OS LA0046

Hi, I am new to model aircraft and am building my first ARTF (Ripmax Trainer 40). I have a new OS LA0046 engine and it says before flying to run a tank of fuel through it with the mixture on the rich side, and when flying to make sure it is not running lean. Could anyone advise me on the easiest way to tell if it is running rich, normal, lean, etc.

Another query I have is on filling the fuel tank. In the instructions for the plane it says the fuel tank should have 3 connection for fuel pipes, however mine only has 2. I have got a power panel fuel pump for filling it and am not sure on the easiest way to fill it. It would be easy enough for me to remove the tube that connects to the exhaust pipe and connect that to the fuel pump, however I'm not sure if that may pump excess fuel through the fuel tank to the carb. The other option I was thinking was to try and get a splitter and put it inbetween the fuel tank and the carb and filling it that way.

Any help on the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks Allan

Reply to
Allan McDermid

Hi. My advice is to find the local field and get some experienced help. You probably would rather do this on your own as I did but that is a mistake. Find some experienced help. Seriously.

Anyway, I can break in an engine but SUCK at describing how so I will leave that up to the more articulate and verbose members of this NG to advise you on that. As far as filling up the tank, I have only one plane that has 3 lines to the tank and that is because the engine is completely enclosed in a cowling and cannot be gotten to. For a two line tank, I either pull the fuel line off the carb to fill or have a filter between the carb and the tank and pull the line apart there to fill and empty the tank. Pumping the fuel into the pressure line (muffler line) will not fill the tank at all but will only pump fuel into the engine since the fuel pickup for the engine is on the bottom of the tank. As soon as fuel enters the tank it will be forced by pump pressure right out again thru the pickup. Doesnt fill the tank and floods the engine. Disconnect this line from the muffler while filling the tank. When fuel squirts out, the tank is full. It can squirt out pretty good so be ready for it! You want to fill and drain the tank thru the line to the engine. Always drain the tank back into the fuel bottle when you are done flying. As far as running in (breaking in) the engine, there is a PDF version of the .46LA engine manual at:

that (Adobe Reader needed) and follow the instructions there. They will explain how to break in properly. Once again, I highly suggest getting experienced help. It will save you time, money, and grief. Will also hook ya up with some new flying buddies!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

You should have received an instruction book With the OS motor. They have detailed instructions on how to run the motor in and how to set up a three line fuel tank setup. If not I am sure you can download the instruction book from OS. If you cant find it, drop me a note.

Reply to
Pat Meredith