WAY OT [OT] Speak Landscaper

It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

I say: "At the end of the project, the soil must be no higher than it is right now. Same or lower grade at the end. If that means we lose a couple of inches of height, that's fine. Err on the side of lower rather than greater height."

He hears: "I would like you to use a mattock to break up the clay and leave 3" diameter clumps on the top of the existing grade. Bring in a ton of dirty fill rock and dump it on top, raising the grade three inches."

I say: We need this area to direct runoff into the french drain along here. A gentle slope will do it. If we have interference with the top of the drainage rock, use a shallow step to accommodate it.

He hears: I want the runoff to flow back over the top of the new pavers, so slope the soil away from the drainage system.

I say: Here is a sketch of the new landing in front of the sliding glass door. It is 5" wider than the door on the left side and 14" wider on the 'opening' side.

He hears: Let's think *really tiny* here. I want this landing to be as small as possible because I have really microscopic feet. Think 'Barbie and Ken', only *small*. Ignore the sketch. I don't even know why I spent so much time on it.

Grrrr. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I say: Unless you have a signed contract stating differently, you will get your payment after you have finished the job to my satisfaction.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:47:45 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

See? You should have taken -Spanish- in high school, suckah. As a Vietnamese lady cow-orker once said "I speak very English!"

Oy vay!

Buy the idiot a LEVEL, Winnie.

Did he match it to the actual openable width, at least?

But he's licensed and insured, right? Take him up on it and/or don't finish paying him.

And now a word about going with the lowest bidder... (insert implied wisdom of not doing so HERE)

P.S: You could always take him back to HD and get a refund.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reputation counts too. My wife uses Angie=92s list and I like to hear the =93word of mouth=94 recommendations. I also try to judge people on how they answer open-ended questions before saying what I=92d like done. What would you do here? Have you come across a job like this one before? Etc.

Denis G.

Standard disclaimers about teevee, but... "Holmes on Homes" (HGTV) would seem to indicate a fairly standard contractor response would be to slap a lien on your house.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Winston, you're probably one of the two people here (the other being Larry) who is going to recognize an obscure literary reference to Vladimir Nabokov's memoir.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

snip funny incident...

Coulda been worse, how would you like it if your house builder did this?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

On 3/18/2010 3:58 AM, Joe wrote: (...)

Good idea!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

He's got a very nice 4' level. It worked real well on support posts but somehow has a problem with grades. :)

It took me only 3 hours to shovel the overburden off the original grade. It's gonna work much better, now.

I recovered from that. Walked outside with the sketch. Looked at the forms. Looked at the sketch. Looked at landscaper with quizzical grin.

He says "Oh, you want it like *that*? I smile and nod.

(Remind me: Why did I give him a print to begin with?)

Forms come apart and get reset into nearly proper position. I now have a place for all my feet and the landings look very nice.

Well, it's all recovered now and very near to plan. I'm about as happy as I can be. :)

This guy cost me 30% more than the lowest bidder would've.

Naah that would have been the *lowest* bidder.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

All the while watching for the schmoozer that repeats stuff back to you so you think he's understanding.

Grrr. :)

That Russell guy was brilliant!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. It happens and you might not find out about it at a convenient time.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You think too much of me Ed. :)

"Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature, should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too much."

-Vladimir Nabokov

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Those are hysterical!

I would've been, too.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't think so. Speak, Memory. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

I claim it's completely inadvertent.

Like the time I was invited to a retrospective of Indian Couture but had a prior commitment and was heard to observe "Sari".

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OK, I believe.

Something deep inside is controlling you. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:14:10 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

That's why you always get a written agreement and only pay half the money as a downpayment--unless the materials cost is more than half the job price.

If you draw up sketches or computerized plans, have the contractor initial them as having seen the copy. If he screws the pooch as badly as this guy did, you'll have something with which to go after him since he saw what you were after. If he's licensed and bonded, repayment is immediate. Small Claims Court takes time. (I'm claim-free and hope to remain that way for as long as I own the business.)

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:29:21 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Those are the worst type, but I thought all of them were busy selling their special driveway sealant.

Ah, a lovely and cynical curmudgeon. I can relate.

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:30:31 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

In many states now, if the contractor can put a lien on a house, he has to first present you with the pamphlet or sheet stating that fact _before_ starting the work. It's usually work valued at $2,000 or more. You can also have the contractor sign a lien waiver, but only if he wants to. Check your state for current practices.

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:44:12 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Don't stand. Don't stand so. Don't stand so close to me... (Sting's words regarding that -other- book by Nabokov)