Eklind hexagon keys

Hi folks,

Anyone own a set of Eklind hexagon keys? If so, what do you think of their accuracy and durability? I notice they're made in Illinois, pretty close to Igor I think.

I want a set of hexagon keys that are long arm and come in a box or sturdy holder, not on a keyring (I hate those rings). I've got a set by CK, which are fine in terms of quality, but the ring connections broke and it was awkward anyway. Eklind offer a set in a plastic holder. That's not quite ideal, as I'd prefer a metal box, so if anyone knows of a better brand available in Europe, I'd be interested to hear.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

By the way, I need imperial keys, not metric.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Bondhus, bar none.

Ned Simmons

I have hex keys by Unbrako, Allen, and Eklind. They are all good.

My Eklind milling head (made in Chicago) is about 70 years old and still making chips. One would expect hex keys to last as long.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Reply to
steamer

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@cantabgold.net:

I have several sets in both short and long, inch and metric, straight and ball-tip. I think they're the best.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They are all fine and are probably made using the same method.

Ignoramus15323

Although one can use a hex key (Allen wrench) while it's attached to a ring, it only takes a moment to remove the key from the ring, for more-convenient use.

Pull on the key while turning it as if unwinding the spring that holds it, and it will come right off. To put it back on the ring, push on it while turning the same direction.

Reply to
James Waldby

Do Bondhus make keys without the ball end? I don't like ball end keys myself.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks, Lloyd and Kevin. That's what I wanted to know. I'd just not heard of the brand before (guess it isn't exported too much).

Do the Eklind keys have the sizes stamped on them (at least the larger keys)? I find that a useful feature.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I used to do this, but found that after I'd removed and replaced the keys I use most often a few times, the spring connection to the ring broke. The spring which fits around the key is pretty tight on the CK sets.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@cantabgold.net:

Yes they do, Chris.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@cantabgold.net:

Chris, if you turn it the right way, it doesn't matter how tight it is. It works just like a coil-spring one-way clutch. Turns hard or not at all one way, and easy as goose grease the other.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'll try again, but I couldn't get it to work satisfactorily with this set. Having set that, I do remember using another set where the keys could be removed easily.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll buy the Eklind set.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The plastic caddies tend to get loose also. Kinda anoying to get to where you are going to work carrying the things and find you lost a key on the way. DAMHIKT!

Wes

Wes

I know. It sounds like the Eklind caddies have O-rings inside to grip the keys, but they'll still fail with time.

Ideally I want a set like these (see link below), but imperial sizes, not metric. Anyone know of a source?

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yes, they do.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

And you need both anyway, as well as a set with the short arm cut off just beyond the bend. The Bondhus wrenches have a tighter bend than the other brands, which means you can cut them shorter. And the uncut wrenches will reach deeper into a counterbore before the bend interferes.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks. Looks like the set I need is No. 12342. Sadly I can't find that set listed for sale in England, so I'll likely be going with an Eklind set. Probably this one:

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Sounds neat. After you next use them, post the name if you can remember. But hopefully I won't need it for a few years...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy