Eklind hexagon keys

Allen keys, Allen wrenches, hexagon keys, hexagon wrenches...and a few others I think...they go by many names.

Looks like it's going to be Eklind for me. I have a number of big Allen brand keys, things like 16 mm and 22 mm. 22 mm is the size for opening mercury flasks :-). I like the Allen brand keys, but their sets only come in a crappy vinyl wallet. I need better storage than that.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

You mean they split longitudinally like a sausage? I'm just trying to figure out the stresses in my mind. Probably the corners/ridges are important too.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've replaced a lot of bits in hex sockets with cut up chunks of Bondhus hex keys, the Bondhus replacements last far longer. When they do fail, they tend to fail lengthwise. They never round off though like the bits I replaced.

The application is assembly cells using electric drive screw guns with torque control/monitoring.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sounds like a textbook torsional fatigue failure.

Ned Simmons

I was thinking a torsional failure should have a 45 degree helical fracture surface, but I guess the ridges change the course of the crack.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That's why belt/disc grinders include a miter gauge and a table for same. A short touchup should fix 'em. I've really only had problems with the smaller sizes and sheared ends and that was with some no-name ones I inherited, came in a tire patch tube where my dad kept all of his. He scarfed up a lot of them off the job where they were included in electrical equipment to put it together.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I hope those are better than the ones they ship with knocked down furniture. I got about a pound of those when some friends closed their thrift store.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just received a set of these Eklind hexagon keys. For anyone reading this thread in the future, I will mention that the ends of the keys are sheared, not ground. I was disappointed in this, but I must say that it's very neat shearing with only the slightest distortion. So I'm keeping them.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy