WAY OT [OT] Speak Landscaper

(...)

Yeah, this was a little weird but I *am* pleased with the results.

The guy was very good inside his area of expertise, though someday I'm going to remember that one does not ask a landscaper to do anything other than landscaping. (Smacks forehead)

Note to self: No carpentry! No electrical! But mostly No Plumbing! Dayum.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Imagine everyone's confusion at hearing that!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

This one told me he would work off my .DXFs

I handed him a CD with my sketches.

It totally puzzled me when he called and asked me to measure some stuff he forgot. (..That was shown on the prints!)

During the middle of the job, he showed up with hardcopies that had obviously been FAXed to him by someone who could actually open and print the files.

With some folks, the truth is just a happy coincidence.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

It'd be very convenient to do a lien search on the web occasionally. I'll have to look into that sometime.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

The book must be great because the song it inspired is too, IMHO.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:00:15 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

And this one didn't believe in coincidences, huh? So solly.

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:05:39 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

The movie didn't take enough advantage of the subject matter.

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

It's a transcendent shock when I catch someone telling the truth, lately. Present company excepted of course.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:48:28 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Some are more capable than others. Get references, go online to check their licensing and insurance/bond validity, and THEN talk to 'em. IOW, do your homework, suckah.

A good landscape company should be well versed and capable in _all_ of the above.

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suspect the subject matter doesn't want to be taken advantage of.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

A week after the completion of hardscape in the front yard, the doorbell rang. A very nice lady pointed at various plants, fresh potting soil and a *lot* of water that were proceeding down the driveway.

She indicated that one normally expects to see these items remaining fixed in relation to one other and implied that I might investigate why they insisted on an eastbound trajectory instead of the more traditional stasis.

I thanked her and shut off the main house valve.

The plants, soil and water continued their journey.

I zipped into the garage and snapped up the street valve wrench. After shutting off the street valve, the mini tsunami subsided at last.

My dear landscaper friends had placed a compression tee in the main water line to the house, upstream of the shutoff. Naturally, their joint failed, causing the gusher.

Only a week later, I replaced the plastic pipe running underneath all the very expensive hard scape to the street valve and spliced the irrigation system into the

*irrigation feed valve the landscapers had ignored*.

It's worked well for about 7 years but you can bet I wonder what other surprises lurk.

(Shudder)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:04:28 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

I go through periods like that (thinking that everyone's lying), usually after reading about our CONgresscritters (both sides of the aisle), Democrats, or reading almost any newspaper or internet story. The feelings instantly lessened when I quit watching TV 3 years ago.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:54:17 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

It's a good thing that you had one. Um, why DID you have one?

Oh, crap!

Well, at least it hasn't interrupted your Easter egg hunts...yet.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I want the patience and moral strength necessary to stop watching television and I want them RIGHT NOW!

:) :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What patience? What moral strength? There just isn't anything to watch...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Doesn't everyone? Heck, my house doesn't even have a main valve apart from the one at the meter. I need to shut it off there to replace a faucet.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Yup, I shake myself awake after a 3 hour marathon and decide that there really *wasn't* anything to watch.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston