Weird hardware request

I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local machine shop.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // | | // | | \\ | | \\ | | // | | // | | \\ |

With the inner hole on the externally threaded tubing being .055-.070 and the thread size being 8-32 (one size up or down would be fine, but 10-32 is pushing it) and the OD of the internally threaded tubing being about

1/4". I need them about 1/2" long, though longer is fine, as I can cut them down to size.

I'm looking for about 300-500 of each.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I'm looking for either split brass tubing, or bead rolled brass strip. It need to go on/around 22ga stainless. Say between 1/8"-1/4" OD.

The final effect is something like this:

(Not my work, just found something of similar style)

Thansk again! Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

Find the appropriate sized tubing and thread it yourself?

How deep do you need the threads on the inside-threaded part?

Threading some varieties of stainless is a real treat, if you like cussing and broken taps. I'd check McMaster and other sources out there for what alloys are available, then I'd check back here for what may be machinable.

If your outer-threaded parts are short enough you may be able to drill out screws.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

--Forget what they're called but you might want to get in touch with the folks who make things like nutserts. I've seen these things used to install a bolt-to point in soft materials like endgrain wood, etc.

Reply to
steamer

Isn't what you are describing called a "thread repair insert"?

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

If you decide to go custom machine, let my son have a shot at it. He just got a pink slip this afternoon. laid off for six weeks. My CHNC lathe could turn these right out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hey Karl,

I have a small job I've been wanting to have made.

If you would like to discuss it, drop me a line.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:00:18 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Todd Rich scrawled the following:

I've never seen that, at least that I can recall. Sorry. But I have a smartarse comment below for you. ;)

Kewl, man. Ascii-paisley!

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tim Wescott wrote: (snip)

Thought about that, but the time involved for me to do it by hand (no lathe) would make it unprofitable.

We were thinking all the way, but that was just a preference.

I think I've convinced my partner on this project to go with brass now.

Reply to
Todd Rich

(snip)

Close, but not quite. The press in inserts are close to what I want for the external part, but threaded both sides versions aren't quite what I need.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Replied privately.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Most of that part is called an: "Half inch long 8-32 hex standoff" They are available in aluminum, brass and stainless.

Buy a bunch and send them to a guy with a lathe to cut the external thread, would be my advice.

Have a look at the 1923B for example:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Actually, that looks just about perfect. They even have a part builder. I'm giving Karl first shot, but if not, looks like this place will have what I need. Thank you! Todd P.S. The part that needs an external thread also needs a smooth through hole in the center.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Others have suggested buying massproduced spacers and adding external threading; in terms of a short shop job, you could also buy massproduced allthread rod (1/4-28 stainless) and drill/tap a soft 5C collet to hold little bits of it for drilling/threading in a lathe.

It might be easier to hold by the big external (threaded) surface and do the small hole, than to hold it by the hole and thread the outer diameter.

Reply to
whit3rd

Todd Rich wrote: (...)

Ah! Now I see what you are doing.

Just through - drill these in a lathe 'soft collet' for the inside part:

Your pilot hole is the center of the cup.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston