Welding helmets (Hobby use) (2023 Update)

I've always done the wadded paper at the chimney trick to get the smoke drafted up that way from the start.

Har, he even measured it! (Yup, Gadgaholic) I guess my old automotive vacuum gauge won't cut it.

Cool.

For K t-coup wire?!? Seems way heavy.

Ensuring a Kosher and clean setup.

$4.56 delivered.

I think Tekpower bought them, so they're probably nearly identical.

If and when I get into datalogging (most of the new MPPT controllers have that capability), I'll remember this.

Now that I'm retired, I have all sorts of projects lined up and ready to go, and I'm gaining the time to get around to them. You're NOT helping.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My wood stove has an opening such that I can use a small propane torch to preheat the air in the chimney. So I do that and then close that opening and use the torch to light the kindling. I refill the 16 oz propane tanks from a 20 lb cylinder.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sounds good to me.

McCain's out: too religious/hawkish (strange companions) + other things. He's not the man I thought he was when he first ran, so I dumped him back then.

Carson's out: too religious and not nearly tough enough on illegals. Rand wants illegals here? I like the man, but: Out!

Ditto Cruz on the latter. Jindal has now dropped out, and I'm waiting for most of the above to drop, too. I'm waiting until they nominate to see whether or not I'll have to write in my candidate of choice. Not looking forward to it. Hell, if Perot were still eligible, he'd get my nod in a nanosecond. Methinks that was our last chance to take the road which didn't lead directly to Hell.

No, I said I want --== REAL ==-- choices.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm OK with the original PWM ctrl on the HF array, but after reading what MPPT can do with arrays wired at 24v or more, I definitely want one for my larger array when I get it. I'm on the fence between a Taiwanese brand and an Outback, either 60 or 80A models for the possibility of additional panels in the coming years.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

HF monocrystallines, or the new used panels?

Nor his extreme hawk moments. He's too eager to get into ME wars. I'd just as soon pull all our men out (stop the bleeding from our Treasury) and send a few SEALS over some night to take out the bad guys.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Has your refilled cylinder ever leaked?

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have bought a number of small propane torches at garage sales. So when I refill a tank, I put a torch on the tank. So no problem with leaks.

And I do not mess with the relief valve. To refill a cylinder, I put the c ylinder in the freezer and refill after the cylinder is cold. If the tank is completely empty, I may have to cool it and refill it more than once. B est to do this when the cylinder is about 1/4 full. The steel tank does no t have much thermal mass.

But to answer your question, yes I have had refilled cylinders leak.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The current estimate to destroy Daesh from a retired military/scientific advisor and writer whose blog I follow is three divisions and all our A-10s plus SEAD assets. A smaller force could do it but would suffer higher casualties in a longer effort. Rooting them out after firepower forces them to disperse will require a large committment of infantry.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The HF panels are amorphous. I assumed that you knew the difference.

"Amorphous crystal panel for superior performance in both bright sun and low light or partial shade"

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have bought a number of small propane torches at garage sales. So when I refill a tank, I put a torch on the tank. So no problem with leaks.

And I do not mess with the relief valve. To refill a cylinder, I put the cylinder in the freezer and refill after the cylinder is cold. If the tank is completely empty, I may have to cool it and refill it more than once. Best to do this when the cylinder is about 1/4 full. The steel tank does not have much thermal mass.

But to answer your question, yes I have had refilled cylinders leak.

Dan ===============

I bought the adapter fitting and extension hose but haven't used them yet. Now might be a good time since the weather is 50's during the day and 20's at night. I could insulate the big tank with bubble wrap to retain the day's heat and let it fill the small one outdoors overnight.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Too bad he isn't in charge, eh?

What the brass doesn't seem to "get" is that there will be collateral deaths of innocents during a "war". Dust 'em and get out. Far fewer will die (on both sides) the quicker we do just that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This was his boss, who should have been in charge:

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

They do get it, and it cripples them into inaction.

BTW, we still have troops there:

Our planes can't attack ISIS oil tankers because their drivers -might- be innocent civilians.

"Good" people do nothing wrong. It doesn't matter if they also do nothing right, even when in command. How often do news helicopters rescue crash victims?

I found two incidents:

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I like the guy. Good article about this in the Defense Journal.

WOW, talk about opposite positions in articles. Those 2 don't sound like they're referring to the same guy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

NON-crystalline silicon? No, I hadn't noticed that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I went out and added a battery to the array and hooked up the inverter. It runs the electric chainsaw just fine, thankfully. It's all boxed back up for the winter now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wth is an "amorphous crystal"? They're opposites. Do they mean

*poly*crystalline, perhaps?

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Do you expect ad copy writers to understand chemistry?

Perhaps they are "nanocrystalline." Even glass and rubber may have localized crystalline structure.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Amorphous silicon is not nanocrystalline, or any other crystalline. It's a non-crystalline allotrope of silicon.

An old friend of mine was working on amorphous silicon solar cells at Harvard back in the '80s. They never achieved the efficiency that was hoped for, but there are some thin-film amorphous silicon cells around, or there were.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A regular crystalline structure has a lower energy and will form spontaneously to the extent allowed by processing conditions which are likely proprietary secrets.

"Even amorphous materials have some shortrange order at the atomic length scale due to the nature of chemical bonding .... Even the most advanced structural characterization techniques, such as x-ray diffraction and transmission electron microscopy, have difficulty in distinguishing between amorphous and crystalline structures on these length scales."

I meant the uneducated ad copy writer at Harbor Freight.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins