Welding helmets (Hobby use) (2023 Update)

The silicon used in thin-film cells typically is doped, or nucleated with hydrogen. These typically wind up being nanocrystalline materials as they're applied to a specific task.

But as-deposited amorphous silicon has no detectable cystal structure, at any scale. The standard diffraction method for detecting amorphous materials may be ambiguous at nanoscales, but there is no *positive* indicator for crystal structure in pure amorpous silicon.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

This disagrees:

"By high resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) it was found that the average size of crystals in samples deposited in that way were similar, about 8-9 nm, whereas crystal size distributions were generally broad and varied for different samples."

The crystalline structure may simply have been undetectable with your friend's equipment back in the 1980's.

In the 60's the analysis of crystals by X-Ray diffraction needed a dedicated round room with film or detectors at precisely positionable locations on the walls. Constructive interference from the regularly spaced atoms in crystal structures focuses the X-rays into spots on the wall like a prism. Amorphous material just creates diffuse fog.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think there are still amorphous solar cells around. The solar cells in calculators were pretty much all amorphous cells. Cheap, not too efficient, but adequate for calculators.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Yes, looking around, I see that's one place where they're still used. There also are a variety of experimental multi-layer thin-film cells that contain a layer of amorphous silicon, and which have much higher efficiency. Sony has made some, and there is a large installation of them at an agriculture station somewhere in NJ.

The problem Sony had with theirs, initially, was relatively short life. I don't know if that's still the case.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ok, I'm certainly not up-to-date on them (or on much else ), so I'll defer.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

WAIT a minute. That paper is about hydrogen-doped amorphous/nanocrystalline silicon. It's been known for decades that doping with hydrogen causes amorphous silicon to adopt a nanocrystalline structure.

If that's the evidence, then I think the jury is still out on pure amorphous silicon.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yep, there are many observations we can't explain because we can't yet measure well enough at the atomic level, especislly below the surface.

That's why I objected to your blanket statement that amorphous silicon has no nanocrystals, in practical mass production versus by theoretical definition. I suspect the solar panel makers don't waste the time and money to check for them, and I once built semiconductor automatic test equipment for Teradyne and was a lab tech at Unitrode.

My amorphous Harbor Freight panels will barely reach 0.6A instead of the 0.86A they are rated for. When I bought them I didn't have the test equipment to measure their maximum power point so I don't know if they met spec even then. No one offered a better kit at a local store.

The surplus monocrystalline panels have degraded in reverse leakage current but not output. At noon they were pushing 85W into the battery according to the power meter.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

No crystal shape but a crystal. Likely a translation from xxxx to English.

And missed.

Some experimentalist make it out of plastic and other materials.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Under $100 welding helmets are considered cheap welding helmets, yet they can give outstanding clarity and protection. It should also be noted that the grinding mode and shade sensors may differ. Even the most affordable welding helmets can be equipped with auto-darkening functions, which are regarded a big advantage.

Reply to
Stephen Ryan

I have a Lincoln Viking and a Harbor Freight Vulcan, neither is under $100, but both are reasonably priced and work fairly well. I personally prefer the Vulcan, but my son prefers the Viking.

If I were to buy a new helmet today I would seriously consider the YES Welder hood with the forward facing high intensity LED lights. I prefer to weld inside the shop where practical so that welding gases (or flux smokes) are not blown away by the slightest breeze, but lighting up the work piece is an issue.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I also have a Vulcan , and I like it . I was a little pissed when I bought it . When the cashier got out her magnifying glass and read me the fine print on the coupon ... "not valid for Vulcan welding helmets" . Oh well , I needed it and I was there and ...yes , I'd buy it again for full price .

Reply to
Snag

Oh, you are not going to be happy with me. I was in the middle of a project when I decided I needed it "right now." I continued prepping stock and sent my wife off to pick one up fully prepared to pay full price... and it was on sale.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I can only applaud your good fortune . Some day Karma is going to dump a whole buncha Good Shit upon me ... but I ain't gonna hold my breath while I wait for it .

Reply to
Snag