welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the insulation on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's encouraging. And, thank you for sharing what worked.

.

Again - thanks for the replys. I am so looking forward to being able to draw welding fumes out near the source rather than using the furnace blower that I have set up to draw from a hole in the ceiling (18 feet away from the welding table) and to vent out of the garage gable. Using the big furnace blower can be a serious waste of heat in the winter time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Was it UV rated?

I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

UV can't pass through the aluminum to harm the adhesive. Some of it still sticks well, some of it has peeled up. I went out earlier this morning to check it.

The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when they are closed.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

No, but the aluminum can oxidize if the coating isn't UV rated. Stainless usually uses a higher grade of acrylic adhesive, too.

Is it flexed too much?

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That could be it.

I'm using flashing for strength and abrasion resistance over the aluminum duct tape on my next project, a fold-up three sided + roof generator sound enclosure made from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles. While testing it I found that adding a large external muffler makes little improvement, most of the noise is mechanical.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins