welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the insulation on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
That's encouraging. And, thank you for sharing what worked.
.
I used lacquer thinner as my solvent. At first I tried dripping a few drops down the motor shaft, spinning the shaft by hand, repeat for about a dozen times, flip over and do the other side. Still felt like the armature was spinning in STP or honey. I started dripping the lacquer thinner down the oiling holes and after a while I could spin by hand, release and get **a full rotation** before the armature stopped spinning. Then I plugged it in and while running started spraying in 3-in1 aerosol (originally posted it as Tri-Flow). Put an optical tach on it and read 1700+ rpm (motor label says 1600 rpm). I let it run w/o either of the squirrel cages attached while adding a drop or two of air tool oil every few minutes until the motor can got too hot to hold for more than seconds at a time. SHut it off, added more oil during cool down and then ran it some more - all the while adding a drop of oil every now and then. I have not seen any excess oil dripping out - I'll leave it on the bench for a few days and maybe add a few more drops before reassembling the motor into the housing.
Again - thanks for the replys. I am so looking forward to being able to draw welding fumes out near the source rather than using the furnace blower that I have set up to draw from a hole in the ceiling (18 feet away from the welding table) and to vent out of the garage gable. Using the big furnace blower can be a serious waste of heat in the winter time.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
Was it UV rated?
I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Reply to
Larry Jaques
UV can't pass through the aluminum to harm the adhesive. Some of it still sticks well, some of it has peeled up. I went out earlier this morning to check it.
The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when they are closed.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
No, but the aluminum can oxidize if the coating isn't UV rated. Stainless usually uses a higher grade of acrylic adhesive, too.
Is it flexed too much?
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Reply to
Larry Jaques
That could be it.
I'm using flashing for strength and abrasion resistance over the aluminum duct tape on my next project, a fold-up three sided + roof generator sound enclosure made from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles. While testing it I found that adding a large external muffler makes little improvement, most of the noise is mechanical.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Site Timeline