Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

I am just wondering about something. As I mentioned earlier, I am buying three machines (Axelson lathe, Monarch 16 inch lathe with sever wear, and CIncinnati 50 taper horizontal mill).

My plan from the beginning was to scrap the badly worn Monarch and CInci, and sell the Axelson, possibly after regrinding the bed. The only thing that I took off the Monarch, right now, is the tailstock and the top slide.

My question is, does it make any sense to hold on to the Monarch for a week, in order to get some valuable parts out of it, or do you think that it is entirely scrap metal material? Are the handles, gears etc worth anything? Leadscrew or some such?

I am assuming that a 16x30 Monarch weighs under 6k lbs.

Reply to
Ignoramus17548

likely to be slow moving inventory. But when the right guy comes along, you'd make money. Personally I'd take what comes quickly and in large chunks - headstock, apron, motor

Reply to
Karl Townsend

OK... thanks...

Maybe the handles too?

And the leadscrew?

I am trying to balance this potential profit against 1) Expense of paying my guy to remove this stuff and 2) My own spent time and 3) Shelf space taken.

I am vacillating back and forth on this.

Ignoramus17548

Is there any activity on eBay for these parts? The Atlas that I parted out was a very popular hobbiest machine & there was a big demand for parts for it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I just looked at Monarch in general on Ebay and there isn't much parts activity. Trouble is, I don't know if that's because there is little interest, or if it's because few sellers bother to put the stuff out there. Why not try putting a bunch of easy-to-remove stuff on Ebay right away, even before you take the parts off the machine? Make 'em 5 day auctions, or "Buy it now". Wait the 5 days. If you get good prices and a lot of action, dismantle it. If not, scrap it.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

Yep. I feel bad about scrappping it outright, anyway. I will part it out. Just for the heck of it, I will get regrinding quotes.

Ignoramus26334

I am looking for parts for a monarch c series, stumbled upon this old post. Do you still have this lathe or parts? snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
joshjen1975

Who is the "you" in this case? You know that you are posting to a usenet newsgroup (though you probably read it as a "Googgle Group", and thousands of people participate who are scattered all over the world

-- and people come and go in the newsgroup.

If you had posted the name of the original poster -- or perhaps the date as well -- perhaps someone would recognize a response to their original post.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All parts sold long ago.

I remember that I put up the compound slide for it on ebay, and it sold in 4 (four) minutes! ($250) I still keep getting calls about that compound.

Ignoramus19954