Western snow plow with all hydraulics and controller

How do you sllep at night ?????????????? :-)
Plows are generally ok on trucks..... most any way..... some will void warranty. If all your gonna do is your driveway then have at it. Push snow back as far as you can your first storm because once it freezes the the problems start.... nouthing like plowing fresh snow and hitting a frozen snowbank,
Don't run the road with the plow mounted. The front ends of trucks really dont like it.. Put it on before it snows, plow the snow then take it off.
Oh Ya sleep tight, You did good
Reply to
jeff

Would you say it is worth $220? if it works?
Reply to
Ignoramus30639
It's 1/10 of the new cost for the cheapest ones.
Reply to
Pete C.
OK, I just brought it home. I will try to adapt it to my Chevy for the next winter. I may have to tinker with the control a little bit. I have very little clue how snowplows work. I may need to do some welding to adapt it to my truck.
Ignoramus30639
Snowplows work by pushing snow :)
There are very minimal controls on one, some are power lift only and some have power angle. Most have solenoid valve control, but I think a few used mechanical push-pull cable control to the valve(s). Electric hydraulic pump, with a contactor to turn it on whenever a control is moved. Welding mount adapters should be the bulk of the project.
Reply to
Pete C.
No kidding./ ;-)
I think that this one has a solenoid valve control.
The control that came with it, seems beaten up, I may want to replace it.
Ignoramus30639
What's the number for the Cook county sheriff? I need to report a robbery.
I've used a snow plow like this quite bit in the past. They are REAL HARD on your pickup. So much so, that I sold the plow and bought a snow blower. I went through two auto trannies and had to have the frame mounting re-welded. But I did make a fair amount of cash doing parking lots.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Replacement parts are readily available, as are rebuild kits for seals, Northern Tool carries a lot of them.
Reply to
Pete C.
DuPage county
What kind of pickup did you have?
Could it be that you simply were too hard on your truck? Like, you tried to push continuously?
Ignoramus30639
Pushing continuously is the easy part, the hard part is all the slamming back and forth between forward and reverse gears and never getting enough speed to lock the torque converter. Heat is the enemy of an automatic transmission and that type of activity heats them up big time. There also isn't enough airflow at those low speeds for the normal transmission coolers to work properly.
Reply to
Pete C.
If you're smart, you'll buy the lower attachment frame for your specific vehicle. My dad wasted weeks trying to adapt one from a Toyota Landcruiser to his IH. Ended up getting the frame from the dealer anyway. Took an afternoon to bolt on to existing attachment points. The upper frame with the cylinder+pump bolted on to frame ends. Have to have a good solid attachment. The pump was run by a starter motor, was pretty much self-contained. He set up a set of relays for the controller box, had swing cylinders on the plow, the controller had cables to operate valves up front along with switches to control the pump. The box lasted longer than the Scout did using the relays. One problem he had was finding a straight path from the box inside the cab to the hydraulic unit up front and center, lots of engine stuff in the way. Could be a fairly large problem with today's crowded engine compartments.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
Thanks. I feel a bit better. How hard is it to put the snowplow on, how long does it take?
Ignoramus30639
That depends on how well you rework the mounts. Generally, after you have done it a few times, perhaps 15 minutes.
Reply to
Pete C.
Pictures:
Makes sense. Are all attachments going to match the plow?
Ignoramus30639
pictures
Ignoramus30639
Oh, and the truck is Chevy Silverado 2500HD, with a gas engine.
How would it survive snow plowing?
Ignoramus30639
Looks good, I see it has power angle as well as lift, just what you want.
If the truck doesn't have the snow plow prep option, you need to add an extra transmission cooler and may need a front suspension upgrade to handle the extra weight of the plow without sagging too much. If you're just doing your driveway the later may not be an issue.
Reply to
Pete C.
:
Is that a 4X4? Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
Yes, 4x4
Reply to
Ignoramus30639
OK, I will try to find out. I thought I had a snow plow prep option, but now I am not sure. I guess I will call the Chevy dealer.
Ignoramus30639