What are common failure modes of powdered metal components?

Hey guys, a while ago I asked how powdered metallurgy works and
received some great replies.
I read that when p/m engine connecting rods are made, the big end is
fractured instead of cut like drop-forged rods. That got me wondering
how p/m rods would fail compared to forged rods. Do they bend like
forged rods when failing in compression? How about when the big end
falls apart from being over-revved, under-lubricated, etc.?
I also looked at some pictures of forged and p/m rods. The p/m rods
use blind bolts and most of the OE-style forged rods use a nut and
bolt. Why is that?
TIA as always for the education.
Reply to
Miki Kanazawa
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Miki Kanazawa) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:
Typically, the bolts will fail (stretch) in a p/m rod before the rod will fail. The fractured edges keep the cap from 'walking' as is sometimes seen in forged/machined rod/cap interfaces. The majority of your new high performance engines are using p/m rods. I can find out why they use blind bolts, I'll try to call the design dept tomorrow and ask.
Reply to
Anthony