What are the common causes of premature deterioration of magnetic coils?

I am interested in the knowing what the most common causes of premature deterioration of electromagnets or magnetic coils in common industrial use today. I am mainly interested in situations where there is a gradual loss of magnetism or resistance in the these coils. I have listed here some ideas on what some of these causes might be but would greatly appreciate any input as to which if any of them are relevant.

  1. How uniformly the conductor may have been wound or how should it be wound.
  2. How pure the chemical composition of the conductor is or should be and how it relates to overheating.
  3. What kind of insulation has been used on the conductor before being wound or what should have been used if any. I would also appreciate any reading reference on this subject. Thank you.
Reply to
Molly Brown

Heat and natural gas.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Overheating, poor initial design have to be the biggest. Some equipment use insulating materials that degrade with prolonged exposure to normal operating temperatures, giving them a definite operating life.

For AC contactors/relays, dirt/rust on the armature face preventing good closure (AC coils draw more current when the magnetic circuit in the iron is opened up even a tiny it).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom