What was the origin of the "China Diesel"?

I see references in newsgroups about how the single cylinder horizontal diesels available from China. and used for such things as walking tractors, seed presses, gen sets, boats. etc. were a WW2 German design. I have seen them attributed to either Benz or Deutz. I am intrigued as to what these engines were used for during the war. Does anyone have pictures of the German predecessor of these Chinese engines?

Forest Crumpler

Reply to
fcrumpler

I don't think the current generation of Chinese horizontal diesels are any more than very distantly related to any European types. I may be on entirely the wrong track here, but I believe the story originates from the fact that at one time the main competitors in the export market (particularly the middle east) for small diesels were the British Lister CS, Petter AV, etc - all vertical - and German Deutz, Faryman, etc with horizontals such as the MAH range.These became known locally simply as the 'English' and 'German' type engines. In time, these markets were lost to European manufacturers and demand for horizontal engines was filled by Japanese names such as Kubota and Yanmar, however the 'German type' name stuck for a while and, when the Japanese engines were in turn replaced by the myriad similar products of the various nationalised Chinese factories, some sort of 'race memory' lead to the story that these were somehow derived from those original Deutz designs.

Few Pics of typical Deutz engines (not all diesel) here:-

NHH

Reply to
Nick H