What can I do with Iridium?

My uncle gave me a large amount of Iridium parts.
Is Iridium a good metal to work with or is it worthless crap like lead?
Can you craft anything useful with Iridium?
Reply to
Adam Ben Nalois
I'll trade you weight for weight with cast iron. Much handier.
Reply to
Ian Stirling
Also worth around it's weight in gold (subject to large variations)...
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Your hook is bent.
Reply to
Boris Mohar
IIRC, it's worth several times its (an apostrophie does NOT mean "here comes an s") weight in gold. (I was looking at buying a small quantity to make a rocket engine)
Reply to
Ian Stirling
Argh! The apostrophe police got me.. and I new that of coarse.
These guys say $110/troy oz, but from March this year, for purchase of the physical metal (which is probably going to be a fair bit more than the spot price).
Closing price on Friday was $87/troy oz according to the South African exchange.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
This kid is a troll. He has posted similar silliness in various news groups.
Regards,
Boris Mohar
Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs
Ontario
Reply to
Boris Mohar
Hmm. I wonder if I might have been thinking about Rhenium. (The current "gold standard" engine if you can afford it is a Rhenium coated Iridium engine (or is that the other way round), this gets all the cooling it needs to avoid melting by simply acting like a light-bulb, rather than needing cooling passages/...)
Reply to
Ian Stirling
There has been some work on adiabatic ceramic engines for things like battle tanks. I don't know if any are currently in production.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Oops, rocket engine, not internal combustion.
Reply to
Ian Stirling
Oh! Great! What we really, really, really need is a new troll!
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Bob Swinney
I've learned a lot from trolls, A******, *ass, Ryker, etc, not so much from these dummys but from the replys from the group. Engineman1