What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance properties?

You know, Ed, in spite of our differences in the past, I can't help but think that you and I agree on quite a few things!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Actually there is one page in the Book of Mormon subject to verification, it could not be translated in Joseph Smith's time. I had it translated, and the Mormon's excommunicated me and my entire family ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Oh, I'm sure we do, Harold, and I've always thought so.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think the most interesting thing about their 'found' condition is that they came pre-punched for a three-ring binder! WHAT FORESIGHT!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Chuckle! Gee, what a surprise! (And what a stroke of luck!)

The faithful are told that they have "free enterprise", which, properly translated is to be read as "free to do as you're told, otherwise you're out of here". Blind obedience is very much a part of how that organization controls the "faithful".

This Greek boy was born and raised in Mormon country. I'm not sure anyone can understand how difficult that can be unless you've "been there, done that". Many of the "faithful" (or Saints, as many prefer to be known) are very capable of making anyone that doesn't agree with their dogma feel like a total stranger in their own town. Being ostracized is very much one of the tactics they use to keep others at arm's length.

Don't misunderstand. I have some friends that I love dearly, members of that organization. There are some wonderful people taken in by their offerings, many of whom are quite faithful. Sadly, that one chooses to believe such things has nothing to do with the truth of the offering. People, in my experience, tend to seek that which brings them comfort, regardless of how rational. I accept their belief of faith, for them, but when anyone waves their belief in my face, I'm quick to get in theirs. We, at least those of us in the US, are free to make religious choices, part of which is to be free from religion.

When anyone proposes to rational people that there are such things as magic rocks, or that one talks into his hat to communicate with the Creator, shouldn't the red flag go up? Maybe people of old were ignorant and superstitious enough to buy that garbage, but modern man should have enough sense to see through it.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Divine" guidance, Lloyd. ;-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

punch card reader Pick a random scanner or digital camera a paper tape reader Ditto

Sony PortaPak That's a Sony CV videocorder you want, reel-to-reel video player under 100 bucks on ebay.

Beta video player, Beta max you can find on ebay, betacam is still in production.

video disk player If you mean laserdisk, Pioneer is still making them

Polaroid film projector Which flavor of polaroid film? In any case, pick a scanner.

8-track tape player Ebay's lousy with them

8 inch drive Ebay

single-sided 5 1/4" Apple II drive Ebay

CP/M single density Osborne drive Probably have one

any number of tape drives If it was some proprietary format may be hard to find. If it's standard then ebay

I doubt that anyone currently alive expects to be around in 500 years .

I think you are grossly overestimating the difficulties involved. If nobody gives a damn about the data then nobody is going to put any effort into retrieving it. But do you really think that the technology available 500 years hence will be incapable of duplicating a CD drive or the like if they really want to?

Reply to
J. Clarke

What kind of disks are you going to be using? If they're standard optical disks then why not use polycarbonate (Lexan, etc)? It's got excellent impact resistance, doesn't corrode as far as I know, can be machined if one knows what one is about, and should be completely compatible with optical disks, they being made out of polycarbonate and all. If they were going to be exposed it would be one thing, but polycarbonate should last indefinitely under the storage conditions you describe.

Just a suggestion, but before you design something elaborate, make the rounds of the photographic, laboratory, and kitchen supply places in the area, you may be able to buy something off the shelf that does fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

or:

Tom